Process Control/Direct Synthesis

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving designing a controller for a third order transfer function using direct synthesis. The desired closed loop time constant is 1, and the question requires the use of a PID3 controller. The solution involves determining the controller gain, integral time constant, and derivative time constant using the direct synthesis method and plugging them into the PID3 controller equation.
katy1995

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I am so stuck in this one homework problem. Any help is greatly appreciated
The question asks to use direct synthesis to design a controller for the transfer function below. The desire closed loop time constant is 1

Homework Equations

(-s+1)*e^(-s)/(5*s+1)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set (y/yd) = e^(-s)/(s+1). However, when I plugged in the equation Kc = (y/yd)/((1-(y/yd)), I cannot simplify the equation to the form of a PID controller (Kc*(1+1/tau_i*s+tau_d*s)). I am guessing that my (y/yd) is wrong but I do not know how to fix. We learned about FOPDT or SOPDT in class but third order transfer function

Physics news on Phys.org
is not covered.

Hi there,

I can see why you are having trouble simplifying the equation to the form of a PID controller. The transfer function given is a third order function, which means it will require a more complex controller than a standard PID controller. In this case, you will need to use a PID controller with a third derivative term, also known as a PID3 controller.

To design this controller using direct synthesis, you will need to first determine the desired closed loop time constant, which in this case is 1. Then, you will need to use the direct synthesis method to calculate the controller gain, integral time constant, and derivative time constant.

To do this, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Set the desired closed loop time constant as 1.
2. Use the direct synthesis method to determine the controller gain, integral time constant, and derivative time constant.
3. Plug in these values into the PID3 controller equation: Kc*(1+1/tau_i*s+tau_d*s+tau_dd*s^3).
4. Simplify the equation and compare it to the given transfer function to ensure they match.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is process control/direct synthesis?

Process control/direct synthesis is a method used in chemical engineering to optimize the production process of chemicals. It involves monitoring and adjusting various parameters such as temperature, pressure, and flow rate to ensure the desired chemical reaction takes place efficiently.

2. How does process control/direct synthesis work?

The process control/direct synthesis works by continuously measuring and analyzing data from various sensors that monitor the chemical process. Based on this data, the control system makes adjustments to the process variables to maintain optimal conditions for the reaction to occur.

3. What are the benefits of process control/direct synthesis?

Process control/direct synthesis offers several benefits, including improved product quality, increased production efficiency, and reduced costs. It also allows for better control over the process, resulting in a more consistent and reliable production process.

4. What types of industries use process control/direct synthesis?

Process control/direct synthesis is commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, food and beverage, and specialty chemicals. It is also used in other industries where precise control of chemical reactions is necessary for the production process.

5. What are the key components of a process control/direct synthesis system?

The key components of a process control/direct synthesis system include sensors, controllers, actuators, and a human-machine interface. The sensors measure process variables, the controllers use this data to make adjustments, the actuators carry out the adjustments, and the human-machine interface allows for monitoring and control by the operator.