Processes in Convection cells / magma intrusion

In summary, magma movement is influenced by processes such as convection, buoyancy, compaction, deformation, and fracturing, and is described by equations such as the Navier-Stokes equations, Darcy's law, and the continuity equation. Understanding these processes and equations is crucial for accurately modeling magma movement.
Atr cheema
Yes this is a bit broader question but I want to know which processes play their role in movement of magma. If one wants to model magma movement through rocks, which processes should one not miss at all and which equations discuss these processes?. As a starter I can that we can use Navier Stokes equations for velocity fields, continuity equation for pressure distribution and etc.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Numerical modelling of magma dynamics coupled to tectonic deformation of lithosphere and crust
http://gji.oxfordjournals.org/content/195/3/1406.abstract

I thought this paper would now be open access, but it isn't. It was written in late 2012. The references cited lists many papers that present alternative models.

“How to Build a Volcano”: Followup from Dr. Ed Llewellin
http://blogs.agu.org/magmacumlaude/2011/08/23/how-to-build-a-volcano-followup-from-dr-ed-llewellin/

http://foalab.earth.ox.ac.uk/flows_news.php
Laboratory for Geophysical Flows
Collaborative Space for Experimental Fluid Mechanics
Department of Earth Sciences | University of Oxford

I haven't worked with magmas per se in a couple years and everything I read was printed out and not saved on the computer. I'd have to go through those papers to find ones relevant to modeling. Most of those are about Yellowstone, but the Yellowstone magma system could serve as a case study. I do know that the AGU journals, meetings posters and paper presentations can answer your questions. Go to sites.agu.org.

First of all, I would like to say that this is a very interesting and complex question. Magma movement is influenced by various processes and understanding them is crucial for accurately modeling it.

One of the key processes in magma movement is convection. This is the transfer of heat through the movement of the magma itself. Convection can occur through both advection (bulk flow) and diffusion (molecular movement). This process is important in determining the direction and speed of magma movement.

Another important process is buoyancy. Magma is less dense than the surrounding rocks and therefore tends to rise towards the surface. This is known as buoyant ascent and it plays a major role in the movement of magma.

In addition, there are also processes such as compaction, deformation, and fracturing that can influence magma movement. These processes can affect the permeability and porosity of the surrounding rocks, which in turn affects the movement of magma.

When it comes to equations, as you mentioned, the Navier-Stokes equations are commonly used to model magma movement. These equations describe the motion of a fluid, taking into account factors such as viscosity, density, and pressure.

Other equations that are important in understanding magma movement include Darcy's law, which relates flow rate to pressure gradients, and the continuity equation, which describes the conservation of mass.

Furthermore, it is important to consider thermal equations such as the heat equation, which describes the transfer of heat through a medium, and the energy equation, which takes into account energy sources and sinks.

Overall, to accurately model magma movement, one should not miss any of these important processes and equations. They all play a critical role in understanding the complex dynamics of magma movement through rocks.

1. What is the process of convection in magma intrusion?

The process of convection in magma intrusion involves the movement of hot magma from the Earth's mantle towards the Earth's surface. This movement is driven by differences in temperature and density, and creates convection cells within the magma chamber.

2. How do convection cells affect the Earth's crust?

Convection cells play a major role in shaping the Earth's crust. As hot magma rises towards the surface, it can cause the overlying crust to bulge and form volcanic features. On the other hand, when cooler magma sinks back down, it can create areas of subsidence and contribute to the formation of mountain ranges.

3. What causes the formation of convection cells in magma intrusion?

Convection cells in magma intrusion are primarily caused by differences in temperature and density. As the Earth's interior is heated by the core, magma rises towards the surface, cools, and then sinks back down. This cycle creates the convection cells we see in magma chambers.

4. How do scientists study convection cells in magma intrusion?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study convection cells in magma intrusion, including seismology, satellite imagery, and geologic mapping. By analyzing the movement of magma and changes in surface features, scientists can gain a better understanding of the convection process.

5. Can the movement of magma in convection cells be predicted?

While scientists have made great strides in understanding convection cells in magma intrusion, it is still a complex and unpredictable process. However, with ongoing research and advancements in technology, it may be possible to predict the movement of magma in the future.