Producing Neutrons: Electron Capture vs Electron-Proton Collisions

In summary, according to a textbook that I was looking at, electron capture and electron-proton collisions both produced a neutron and an antineutrino, but one was mediated by a W+ particle and the other by a W-. Is this correct, or are they interchangeable?Anyone?Can you draw the approriate Feynman diagrams on parton level and then decide whether they are topological indistinguishable?The Feynman diagrams both had the proton bottom left and electron bottom right (sorry, don't know how to do diagrams!). The neutron moves out at top left and the neutrino out at top right - both processes (electron capture and electron-proton collision) are effectively the same are they
kcboing
According to a textbook that I was looking at, electron capture and electron-proton collisions both produced a neutron and an antineutrino, but one was mediated by a W+ particle and the other by a W-. Is this correct, or are they interchangeable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Can you draw the approriate Feynman diagrams on parton level and then decide whether they are topological indistinguishable?

And shouldn't there be an ordinary neutrino in the final state?

Last edited:
kcboing said:
Anyone?

If you want, I can draw the first one and then you can try to draw the second one. Then we can discuss them?

You are, of course, right about the neutrino.

The Feynman diagrams both had the proton bottom left and electron bottom right (sorry, don't know how to do diagrams!). The neutron moves out at top left and the neutrino out at top right - both processes (electron capture and electron-proton collision) are effectively the same are they not?

But in one diagram they had drawn a W- moving from left to right and in the other a W+ moving from right to left. My question is, are both equally valid, or am I missing something?

You must look at the time-axis, here comes the first one. Look what's really happening at each vertices.

The try to figure out how the second one work, then I'll tell you why they are topological indistinguishable :-)

here it is, an up quark is emitting a virtual W+ boson, which is absorbed by the electron which becomes a neutrino.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13580&stc=1&d=1208378324

Might take some time before it is accepted by the staff of PF, but you waited 1year for this question to be answered so I think you can wait a couple of hours :-)

Now try to figure out how where the W- boson shall be in the second possible diagram. And think about what the concept of virtual particles really means.

/Malawi

Attachments

• electroncapturefeyn1.jpg
    electroncapturefeyn1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 588
malawi_glenn said:
you waited 1year for this question to be answered so I think you can wait a couple of hours :-)

Oh wow, I didn't notice that! I saw the "3.25" in the date and thought, "Gee, three weeks? he sure waited a long time to follow up on this." :rofl:

jtbell said:
Oh wow, I didn't notice that! I saw the "3.25" in the date and thought, "Gee, three weeks? he sure waited a long time to follow up on this." :rofl:

hehe yeah, some people just don't give up :-)

1. What is the difference between electron capture and electron-proton collisions in producing neutrons?

Electron capture is a nuclear reaction in which an electron is absorbed by the nucleus, resulting in the formation of a neutron. Electron-proton collisions, on the other hand, involve the collision of an electron and a proton, resulting in the formation of a neutron. In both cases, a neutron is produced, but the mechanisms of production are different.

2. Which method is more efficient in producing neutrons?

Electron capture is generally more efficient in producing neutrons compared to electron-proton collisions. This is because in electron capture, the entire mass of the electron is converted into the mass of the neutron, resulting in a higher energy release.

3. Can both electron capture and electron-proton collisions be used to produce neutrons in a controlled manner?

Yes, both methods can be used to produce neutrons in a controlled manner. Electron capture is commonly used in nuclear reactors, while electron-proton collisions are used in particle accelerators.

4. What are the potential applications of producing neutrons through electron capture or electron-proton collisions?

Producing neutrons through electron capture and electron-proton collisions has various applications in nuclear power, nuclear medicine, and scientific research. Neutrons can be used to induce nuclear reactions, create radioactive isotopes for medical imaging, and study the structure and properties of materials.

5. Are there any safety concerns when producing neutrons through electron capture or electron-proton collisions?

Both methods of producing neutrons can be potentially hazardous if not properly controlled. In nuclear reactors, measures are taken to prevent excessive neutron production, which can lead to a nuclear meltdown. In particle accelerators, safety protocols are in place to protect workers from exposure to high-energy neutrons.