Product Detector: Learn When to Use & Benefits

In summary, product detectors are used in single sideband receivers to mix an amplified input signal with a local oscillator to remove the carrier and extract the audio signal. They can be more expensive than envelope detectors, but have better performance. The use of a bandpass filter limits the bandwidth of the signal and removes the carrier, resulting in a lower overall power.
onceinalifetim
Hello

I am trying to learn something and really hope to get some help..

i know the use of envelope detector.. but when to use product detector?
i know product detector will be more expensive than envelope detector.. please help

Engineering news on Phys.org
onceinalifetim said:
Hello

I am trying to learn something and really hope to get some help..

i know the use of envelope detector.. but when to use product detector?
i know product detector will be more expensive than envelope detector.. please help

Huh ? What are you talking about?

hello.

what is the condition to use product detector?

onceinalifetim said:
hello.

what is the condition to use product detector?

OK, I googled the term and now I understand your question, but I don't know the answer.

how the overall power becomes lesser when one side band is taken away by the bandpass filter and also how it limits the bandwidth of the signal

A product detector is just a mixer where the two input signals are close together in frequency and the output, which is the difference between the two input frequencies, is generally an audio signal.

They are used in single sideband receivers to mix an amplified input signal with a local oscillator whose frequency corresponds with the missing carrier of the sideband signal.

Simple product detectors require filtering to remove the carrier from the audio output signal, but better ones use balanced techniques to cancel it out.

There is no loss of power involved in doing this as the carrier is an unwanted and harmful output if it gets to the audio amplifier.

1. What is a product detector and how does it work?

A product detector is a circuit used in radio receivers to convert the high frequency signals received from the antenna into a lower frequency signal that can be amplified and demodulated. It works by multiplying the received signal with a local oscillator signal to produce a new signal at the difference frequency between the two. This new signal is then amplified and filtered to extract the original audio signal.

2. When should a product detector be used?

A product detector should be used when receiving amplitude modulation (AM) signals. This is because AM signals consist of a carrier wave and the modulating audio signal, and the product detector is able to extract the audio signal from the carrier wave.

3. What are the benefits of using a product detector?

The main benefit of using a product detector is that it allows for the demodulation of AM signals, which are commonly used in radio broadcasting. Product detectors are also more efficient than other types of demodulators, resulting in better quality audio signals and improved reception of weak signals.

4. Are there any downsides to using a product detector?

One potential downside of using a product detector is that it requires a local oscillator signal, which can introduce noise into the demodulated audio signal. However, this can be minimized by using high quality components and proper circuit design.

5. Can a product detector be used for other types of signals?

While product detectors are primarily used for AM signals, they can also be used for single sideband (SSB) and continuous wave (CW) signals. However, the local oscillator frequency must be carefully adjusted to match the sideband frequency in order to extract the desired signal.