Product rule of a trig function

In summary: The operation to add these together as in this equation is a property of partial derivatives in and of themselves.
DiracPool
I'm trying to understand how the derivative of this function:

x=ρcosθ

Becomes this:

dx=−ρsinθdθ+cosθdρ

First off I'm guessing that x is a function of both ρ AND cosθ, or else we wouldn't be using the product rule in the first place..Am I correct? So how could we write this in functional notation? Like so?

x(ρ,cosθ)= ρcosθ

Then might the next step of taking the derivative of x with respect to ρ and cosθ look like this?

dx/(dρ dθ) = −ρsinθ+cosθ

Moving the denominator on the left side to the right could yield the answer:

dx=−ρsinθdθ+cosθdρ

But how do we know to put the dθ next to the sin term and the dρ next to the cos term? Perhaps I'm working this out wrong?

To put it another way, if we took the derivative of the function x=ρcosθ with respect to each of the variables separately, we'd get

dx/dρ = cosθ and dx/dθ = -ρsin(θ)

But I guess I'm missing how we combine these separate operations to get the equation:

dx=−ρsinθdθ+cosθdρ

Perhaps we are not even using the product rule here?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
Like so?

x(ρ,cosθ)= ρcosθ ##\qquad## Yes, although: ##x(\rho,\theta) = \rho\cos\theta##

Then might the next step of taking the derivative of x with respect to ρ and cosθ look like this?

dx/(dρ dθ) = −ρsinθ+cosθ ##\qquad## No !

Moving the denominator on the left side to the right could yield the answer: ##\qquad## A million : No !

dx=−ρsinθdθ+cosθdρ ##\qquad## this is correct
## \rho ## and ##\theta## are two orthogonal directions in a coordinate transform in the plane: from (x,y) to ##(\rho, \ \theta)##: when ##\rho## varies, x varies too. And when ##\theta## varies, x varies too. ## \rho ## and ##\theta## are independent and orthogonal, so in first order you can add the variations, hence the + sign. And in the differential limit this last expression holds exactly.

welcome to the world of differentials !

Likes DiracPool
BvU said:
so in first order you can add the variations, hence the + sign

So does this mean that we are taking the derivative of the function separately with respect to ρ and θ and then are simply combining the two expressions with the + sign, and are not using the product rule at all?

In a way we are, and we use the chain rule too, but it's rather trivial: ##\ {d\over d\rho}(\rho\cos\theta) ={d\rho\over d\rho}\cos\theta + {d\cos\theta \over d\rho}\rho = \cos\theta + \rho\sin\theta{d\theta \over d\rho} = \cos\theta## .

The term with ##{d\theta \over d\rho}## (which is zero), is zero here, but it comes into play when the new coordinates are not orthogonal.

What you have written is not the derivative, but the differential of a function of two variables. Irrespective of whether it is a coordinate transformation or not, x here is a function of the two variables ρ and θ, not cosθ: x(ρ, θ) = ρ cosθ. The differential is then:

dx = (∂x/∂ρ) dρ + (∂x/∂θ) dθ = cosθ dρ - ρ sinθ dθ

Likes DiracPool
DiracPool said:
So does this mean that we are taking the derivative of the function separately with respect to ρ and θ and then are simply combining the two expressions with the + sign, and are not using the product rule at all?

I think the product rule you are referring to is the one used for functions of a single variable.

Dirac seen the light yet ?

The symbols that I wrote, (∂x/∂ρ) and (∂x/∂θ) are called partial derivatives. You will need to check from your calculus textbook, what they are, how they are defined and calculated. We did not use the product rule here, but there is still a product rule in partial derivatives. We just did not have to use it here.

BvU said:
Dirac seen the light yet ?

Yes Lawd, I have seen the light! :angel:

Chandra Prayaga said:
The symbols that I wrote, (∂x/∂ρ) and (∂x/∂θ) are called partial derivatives. You will need to check from your calculus textbook, what they are, how they are defined and calculated. We did not use the product rule here, but there is still a product rule in partial derivatives. We just did not have to use it here.

Ok, I see, no product rule. You'd use the product rule only if you had, say, two terms multiplied by each other that were both the function of the same variable being differentiated. Here we have two separate variables. So is the idea here is that we are using partial derivatives because ∂x/∂ρ and ∂x/∂θ refer to dimensions in space? Is the operation to add these together as in this equation a property of partial derivatives in and of themselves, or some sort of "linear combination" process?

DiracPool said:
Here we have two separate variables. So is the idea here is that we are using partial derivatives because ∂x/∂ρ and ∂x/∂θ refer to dimensions in space?
x and y are functions of two variables. That is why we use partial derivatives. It's a very general thing, not limited to dimensions in space. The operation to add these together is indeed a "sort of vector addition". Make a few sketches and things may become a little clearer. Or follow Chandra's good advice in post #5: read up on calculus. Lots of threads that point you to good books (or free pdf) in the subforum

1. What is the product rule of a trig function?

The product rule of a trig function is a rule used to find the derivative of the product of two trigonometric functions. It states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

2. How is the product rule of a trig function used in calculus?

The product rule of a trig function is used in calculus to find the derivative of a product of two trigonometric functions. This is helpful when dealing with more complex functions that involve multiple trigonometric terms. It allows us to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What is the general formula for the product rule of a trig function?

The general formula for the product rule of a trig function is d/dx[f(x)g(x)] = f(x)g'(x) + g(x)f'(x), where f(x) and g(x) are two differentiable trigonometric functions and f'(x) and g'(x) are their respective derivatives.

4. Are there any special cases for the product rule of a trig function?

Yes, there are two special cases for the product rule of a trig function. The first case is when one of the functions is a constant, in which case the derivative of that function is 0. The second case is when one of the functions is the identity function (f(x) = x), in which case the derivative of that function is 1.

5. How does the product rule of a trig function relate to the chain rule?

The product rule of a trig function is a special case of the chain rule. When one of the functions is the identity function, the product rule reduces to the basic chain rule. This shows the interconnectedness of different rules and concepts in calculus.