Professor claims Newton Ct massacre a hoax

In summary: This guy Tracy is a professor at Florida Atlantic University and he has a blog where he talks about this conspiracy theory that nobody was killed at Sandy Hook Elementary school and it was all a training exercise. He's been getting a lot of attention lately because some of his students are skeptical about the Sandy Hook massacre and he's started teaching a course about the culture of conspiracy. Tracy is an associate professor at Florida Atlantic University and he doesn't mention tenure in the article, but I think he should be fired because his beliefs about the Sandy Hook massacre are totally ridiculous and don't reflect the academic standards of the university.
the guy may be just a nutcase after attention

or he may be an imp who enjoys stirring up the excitable types.
Remember that "Lady and the Tramp" scene : "Ya ever chase chickens?"

If his field of study is really 'mass communications' it could be an experiment.
Eric Hoffer's "True Believer" is the classic work on how to use excitable types to political ends of starting mass movements. He could be pinging the system and somehow measuring response.
Army Field Manual also has instructions how to find and use the excitables for insurrection.

My guess is the first, fwiw

Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
If his field of study is really 'mass communications' it could be an experiment.
Eric Hoffer's "True Believer" is the classic work on how to use excitable types to political ends of starting mass movements. He could be pinging the system and somehow measuring response.
Army Field Manual also has instructions how to find and use the excitables for insurrection.

Or, he could just be a middle aged man of at least above average intelligence that hasn't really achieved the success in life that he felt someone of his abilities should achieve. (I wonder if he belongs to MENSA - or worse yet, was rejected by MENSA as not being quite intelligent enough.)

Starting a conspiracy theory of this sort as an experiment would be psychopathic behavior. While that's a possibility, it isn't typical of the people that create these theories.

Or, he could just be a middle aged man of at least above average intelligence that hasn't really achieved the success in life that he felt someone of his abilities should achieve.

that's where i put him, my first category more eloquently stated by you.

Here is the damage caused by conspiracy *truthers* like this professor.

Gene Rosen, Sandy Hook Hero, Harassed By Conspiracy Theorists Who Claim He's An Actor

A good Samaritan who harbored six terrified survivors of the Sandy Hook massacre has been singled out by conspiracy theorists accusing him of being a liar and an actor.

a group of conspiracy theorists who call themselves "truthers," Salon reported earlier this month. These truthers have so far posted Rosen's personal information online, created fake social media accounts using his name and harassed him via email and phone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-theory_n_2481912.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

More

I don’t know what to do,” Gene Rosen told Salon.com. “I’m getting hang-up calls, I’m getting some calls, I’m getting emails with, not direct threats, but accusations that I’m lying, that I’m a crisis actor, ‘How much am I being paid?'”

Rosen, a 69-year-old retired psychologist who lives near Sandy Hook Elementary School where the shootings took place, says his inbox is filled with emails like this one:
How are all those little students doing? You know, the ones that showed up at your house after the ‘shooting’. What is the going rate for getting involved in a gov’t sponsored hoax anyway?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gene-rosen-sandy-hook-conspiracy-155033813.html

Last edited:
tahayassen said:
We don't know if he acts the same way as the conspiracy theorists in that article. How are you so sure that he is like those ones?
Well, one idea might be that you go back and read what he said in my OP. Then you would know.

He suggests that there were multiple shooters...that trained “crisis actors” may have been employed by the Obama administration to shape public opinion on gun control.

His blog, with 222 followers, lays out his conspiracy theory in detail, suggesting that it was a training exercise in which actually nobody was killed.
Oh, and read the attached link, it might have more information. Just a wild guess. Not saying that he "personally" is harassing the retired psychologist that helped the 6 children, but he is responsible for putting these crazy ideas out there and encouraging them with his conspiracy blog.

tahayassen, if you are going to make such posts, you might want to read the thread first.

Last edited:
This "Asst Professer" is less reliable than the attendant at our town's waste transfer station, IMO. At least the attendant knows what types of waste can be safely recycled, and he doesn't come up with crazy theories for stuff that doesn't make sense to the IQ50 crowd. I'm so disgusted by this ginned up conspiracy. Children and adults died, and it should never happen again.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill: We are sinking into "the abyss of a new dark age,...made more sinister and protracted" by the perversion of social media and abetted by those who would "educate" us.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Well, one idea might be that you go back and read what he said in my OP. Then you would know.

No need to jump to the conclusion that I didn't read the article.

Not saying that he "personally" is harassing the retired psychologist that helped the 6 children

That's exactly what I thought you were implying.

If it's what he believes, who cares?

thoughtgaze said:

Uh ... you think maybe the parents of those dead kids might care?

thoughtgaze said:

Because people influence other people with their beliefs.

thoughtgaze said:
Because people with crazy thoughts (in denial of reality) can be dangerous in more than one way, IMO.

phinds said:
Uh ... you think maybe the parents of those dead kids might care?

It's a non-issue. People are allowed to, and will, have their own beliefs. If I was one of those parents, I really wouldn't care what others thought. The only thing that matters to me is that my child is gone and there is nothing that can be done about that, what do I care what some random schmuck believes? That also goes for all the people that pretend to care about those children on TV. People think they are doing good by sending prayers and saying kind words? Who cares, my child is dead, nothing can be done about that. In short, I could easily argue the grieving process is equally worsened by the mainstream media covering it day in and day out. Let these parents grieve in peace.

"Because people influence other people with their beliefs."
That sort of thinking is why some people want to ban books. Let's face it, people are responsible for their own actions, whether it's influenced by a third party or not.

"Because people with crazy thoughts (in denial of reality) can be dangerous in more than one way, IMO."
True, but that a thought is crazy is not enough to make it dangerous. What real danger could come from him stating his conspiracy theory?

thoughtgaze said:
It's a non-issue. People are allowed to, and will, have their own beliefs. If I was one of those parents, I really wouldn't care what others thought. The only thing that matters to me is that my child is gone and there is nothing that can be done about that, what do I care what some random schmuck believes? That also goes for all the people that pretend to care about those children on TV. People think they are doing good by sending prayers and saying kind words? Who cares, my child is dead, nothing can be done about that. In short, I could easily argue the grieving process is equally worsened by the mainstream media covering it day in and day out. Let these parents grieve in peace.

You can argue whatever you'd like, that doesn't mean squat. The FACT, and yes it is a fact, is that you and practically every other person ever cares about what other people think a great deal. If you think that a hundred million people praying for your dead child doesn't do anything for those parents, just imagine if it was the opposite, a hundred million people screaming that their child deserved to die or something. It would be utterly devastating.
"Because people influence other people with their beliefs."
That sort of thinking is why some people want to ban books. Let's face it, people are responsible for their own actions, whether it's influenced by a third party or not.

This has nothing to do with them being responsible for the own actions or not. It has to do with how their opinions and beliefs are formed in the first place.

"Because people with crazy thoughts (in denial of reality) can be dangerous in more than one way, IMO."
True, but that a thought is crazy is not enough to make it dangerous. What real danger could come from him stating his conspiracy theory?

The long lasting impact of convincing thousands of people that the government is lying to them and actively working towards some purpose by killing not only its on citizens, but children at that. There are an unimaginable amount of possibilities this kind of thinking can lead too, none of them good.

Drakkith said:
If you think that a hundred million people praying for your dead child doesn't do anything for those parents, just imagine if it was the opposite, a hundred million people screaming that their child deserved to die or something.

Your point? Praying still doesn't do anything. Of course a hundred million people screaming that their child deserved to die would be horrible. As far as I see, that's not happening. Again, a small fraction of people think it's a conspiracy, so what? That's the best you can hope for. Think of any belief you want, there's always going to be at least a small fraction of people that hold that belief. It's probability. There are nearly 7 billion people or so on this planet. That one or a few people say some outrageous things is hardly reason to waste your energy talking about it.

This has nothing to do with them being responsible for the own actions or not. It has to do with how their opinions and beliefs are formed in the first place.

Whether you like it or not, that's the price one pays for freedom of speech. That people can speak freely and others can form opinions and beliefs based on that speech is what we all agreed to by being a U.S. citizen. To be afraid or bothered in some way because of what others might believe based on what this guy says is absurd.

There are an unimaginable amount of possibilities this kind of thinking can lead too, none of them good.
It's ironic though, you seem almost as paranoid as this professor. There are also an unimaginable amount of negative possibilities that can result from me jumping up and down right now. It's called chaos. Don't pretend to know what will lead to what.

thoughtgaze said:
Your point? Praying still doesn't do anything. Of course a hundred million people screaming that their child deserved to die would be horrible. As far as I see, that's not happening. Again, a small fraction of people think it's a conspiracy, so what? That's the best you can hope for. Think of any belief you want, there's always going to be at least a small fraction of people that hold that belief. It's probability. There are nearly 7 billion people or so on this planet. That one or a few people say some outrageous things is hardly reason to waste your energy talking about it.

You still miss the point. This isn't about some small portion of people that simply believe something because of probability. It's about them making other people believe it. You can cram all the BS you want into a post about how it's everyone's choice about what they believe, but in the end it comes down to realizing that people influence other people. Hand waving it away under the guise that people are just going to believe whatever they believe and that it has little consequence is idiotic. A thousand examples from history will tell you this. If no one actively works against people such as this then all that happens is their beliefs spread.

Whether you like it or not, that's the price one pays for freedom of speech. That people can speak freely and others can form opinions and beliefs based on that speech is what we all agreed to by being a U.S. citizen. To be afraid or bothered in some way because of what others might believe based on what this guy says is absurd.

No, it's completely logical if you understand that lies and hate spread like wildfire in the right circumstances. A well made speech or video can have unbelievable consequences. This isn't about free speech, I'm not going to take the guy to court because I wouldn't have any legal justification that I know of.

It's ironic though, you seem almost as paranoid as this professor. There are also an unimaginable amount of negative possibilities that can result from me jumping up and down right now. It's called chaos. Don't pretend to know what will lead to what.

Paranoid? Nah. Concerned? Absolutely. I care about society as a whole and don't like to see lies such as this spread.