Professors vs Doctors: Questions Answered

In summary: To summarize, to be a professor in the United States one must have a PhD or equivalent degree. However, in some countries, such as Poland, being a professor does not require a PhD.
SUDOnym
Some of my lecturers are Doctors and some are Professors - so one lecturer might be called Dr. Jack Johnson and another might be Prof. John Jackson ... I have a few questions related to this:

What must someone do to earn title of Professor?
Is Professor better than Doctor?
Do Professors also have Doctorates?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to General Discussions.

I have a feeling it was discussed in the past, search the forum. There is no single answer, as it is country dependent.

Borek said:
I have a feeling it was discussed in the past, search the forum.

Yes, the question came up recently, but finding it in a search is tricky because it's buried in a thread about the TV show "The Big Bang Theory." :rolleyes:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3393265#post3393265

I remembered posting a response, so I searched my old posts in this forum for the word "professor."

To summarize: "Doctor" means the person has an academic degree such as Ph.D. or M.D. "Professor" is the title of a academic job (position) which usually requires the holder to have a Ph.D. or similar academic degree. When someone is both a "Doctor" and a "Professor", what you call him when you talk to him depends on local custom.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
"Professor" is the title of a academic job (position) which usually requires the holder to have a Ph.D. or similar academic degree.

Depends on the academic system. In Poland (and I think in Germany, perhaps somewhere else as well) professor is either an academic degree or position.

So, a person can be a professor without being employed by a particular university or other institution?

jtbell said:
So, a person can be a professor without being employed by a particular university or other institution?

Yes.

One is being nominated as a professor (academic degree) by the President of Poland. As president resides in Belweder they are informally known as "belwederian professors" (? - "profesor belwederski" in Polish).

Last edited:
I think an important point that hasn't been made yet here is that getting a doctorate is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for becoming a professor. It depends on the field, but typically when you graduate with your PhD, you don't immediately get hired for a faculty-level position (i.e. professor). So, as a PhD-bearer, you have the right to be to referred to by the title of "Dr.", but you haven't yet been deemed awesome enough to get a faculty job. This, at least, is how it works in North America. Instead, you're (hopefully) hired into a position as a researcher to continue to do work in your field. Many of these post-doctoral researchers are referred to as, appropriately enough, post-doctoral researchers or "postdocs" for sure. Postdocs are "Drs." but not "professors." In my field, it is necessary to go through one or two post-doctoral positions in which your only job is to do research/science (i.e. you have little to no administrative or teaching responsibilities). You just publish like crazy and try to make a name for yourself in your field in the hopes that you will get hired in some tenure-track position eventually, e.g. assistant professor. However, this is far from guaranteed.

Disclaimer: I'm just a lowly PhD student and can only go by what others have told me about the academic career path post-PhD. I'm not speaking from personal experience.

1. What is the difference between a professor and a doctor?

A professor is a title given to an individual who teaches at a university or college. They are typically experts in their field and are responsible for conducting research and teaching students. On the other hand, a doctor is an individual who has completed a doctoral degree, such as a PhD, in a specific field of study. They are also experts in their field, but their primary focus is on research rather than teaching.

2. Can a professor also be a doctor?

Yes, it is possible for a professor to also hold a doctoral degree. In fact, many professors have completed a PhD or other doctoral degree in their field of expertise. However, not all doctors are professors, as they may choose to pursue a career solely focused on research rather than teaching.

3. Do professors make more money than doctors?

It depends on the specific job and institution. In general, doctors tend to make more money than professors, as they often have higher salaries and more opportunities for advancement and bonuses. However, some professors at prestigious universities may have higher salaries than doctors in certain fields.

4. What qualifications are needed to become a professor or a doctor?

To become a professor, one typically needs to have a master's degree or higher in their area of specialization, as well as teaching experience. Some institutions may also require a PhD. To become a doctor, one needs to complete a doctoral degree, such as a PhD, in their field of study. This often involves several years of coursework, research, and a dissertation.

5. Can a professor also work as a doctor?

It is possible for a professor to also work as a doctor, especially if they have a doctoral degree in a medical field. However, their primary role would likely be teaching rather than practicing medicine. Some professors may also conduct research in their field of study, which could involve working as a doctor in a research setting.