Program for Sin(x^2) MacLaurin Series

In summary, the Program for Sin(x^2) MacLaurin Series is a mathematical program that calculates the Maclaurin series expansion for the sine of x squared. This series expansion is a method of approximating the value of a function at a specific point by using the derivatives of the function at that point. The program uses a loop to calculate the terms of the series and outputs the final result, which can be used to approximate the value of sin(x^2) at any given point. The program is useful for solving complex mathematical problems and can be easily implemented in various programming languages.
Einstein2.0
I'm currently attempting to design a program on my ti-84 calculator (ti-nspire w/ 84 faceplate) to provide an approximation of the sin(x^2) as accurate as I would like the sum the reach. I attempted to input a formula for such, sum(seq((-1)^(Z-1)*X^(4Z-2)/(2Z-1)!, Z, 1, n, 1)), "Z" being the variable of the series whose end would be determined by my input of "n", and I wanted the program to display the series INCLUDING the variable "X," hence, displaying the MacLaurin approximation of sin(x^2). I hoped to possibly graph this and use the method in some way to provide an approximate integration of sin(x^2). Could anyone let me know if this is possible or even point me in a better direction? Sorry this question has to be so long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the series for sin(y) and then let y = x². I may be missing something in your description.

mathman said:
Start with the series for sin(y) and then let y = x². I may be missing something in your description.
It's the fact that the calculator won't display the series w/ the variable "X" that's my real problem. I'm not really sure if the calculator can do something like that.

Einstein2.0 said:
It's the fact that the calculator won't display the series w/ the variable "X" that's my real problem. I'm not really sure if the calculator can do something like that.

I can't help you, since I have never used a TI-84 calculator.

I think it's great that you are trying to develop a program to approximate the MacLaurin series for sin(x^2). This can be a useful tool for approximating the value of sin(x^2) and potentially for integration purposes.

Your approach of using the sum(seq()) function on your calculator is a good start. However, there are a few things to consider. First, the formula for the MacLaurin series of sin(x^2) is actually a bit different from what you have inputted. It should be sum(seq((-1)^(n)*x^(4n+2)/(2n+1)!, n, 0, k, 1)), where "k" is the number of terms you want to include in the series. This formula will give you the terms of the series up to the kth term.

Secondly, you mentioned wanting to display the series including the variable "x". This may be a bit more complicated on a calculator, but you can try using a loop to input different values of "x" and then display the series for each value. Alternatively, you could also try using a graphing calculator to graph the series and visually see how it approximates sin(x^2).

Lastly, I would suggest exploring other methods for approximating integrals, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, which may be more accurate and easier to implement on a calculator. Overall, it's great that you are exploring the applications of the MacLaurin series and I encourage you to continue learning and experimenting with different methods.

1. What is the MacLaurin series for sin(x^2)?

The MacLaurin series for sin(x^2) is:
sin(x^2) = x^2 - (x^2)^3/3! + (x^2)^5/5! - (x^2)^7/7! + ...

2. How is the MacLaurin series for sin(x^2) derived?

The MacLaurin series for sin(x^2) is derived by expanding the Taylor series for sin(x) and replacing x with x^2. This results in an infinite series of powers of x^2.

3. What is the general form of the MacLaurin series for sin(x^2)?

The general form of the MacLaurin series for sin(x^2) is:
sin(x^2) = ∑ (-1)^n * (x^2)^(2n+1) / (2n+1)!
where n = 0, 1, 2, ...

4. How do you use the MacLaurin series to approximate sin(x^2)?

To approximate sin(x^2) using the MacLaurin series, you can take a finite number of terms from the series and substitute them into the original function. The more terms you use, the more accurate your approximation will be.

5. What is the significance of using the MacLaurin series for sin(x^2)?

The MacLaurin series for sin(x^2) allows us to approximate the value of sin(x^2) for any value of x, without having to use a calculator or trigonometric tables. It is also useful in calculus for solving integrals and differential equations involving sin(x^2).