Programming interviews: is it bad to study every possible question?

In summary, job interviews for software engineering positions often include strange programming questions and riddles, particularly involving linked lists. While it may be tempting to study these questions extensively, it is important to remember that the purpose of the interview is to test problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills. Simply knowing the answers to specific questions may not be enough to impress the interviewer. Instead, it is recommended to have a general understanding of programming concepts and to approach each question with a clear and logical thought process. Ultimately, the best preparation for a job interview is to have a strong foundation in programming and to be able to think on one's feet.
pakmingki2
Ok so for me, a job interview is still a while away, and I am not even sure if i will major in CS.
But anyways, I've heard from my TAs that in their job interviews with microsoft and such, they are usually asked strange programming questions mostly involving linked lists, and riddles.

Now, I've basically googled and I've found comprehensive lists of questions that have been asked at microsoft interviews. I am sure everyone knows the classic one: "how can you tell if a linked list is circular" type of stuff.

But anyways, would it be bad to study them as much as possible and then at an actual interview answer each question blazingly fast? At first i thought it would be a really good idea, then i also realized that then the interviewer will know that you prepared, and that defeats the purpose of the interview and the whole purpose is to see how well you can think on your feet. And you aren't thinking on your feet if you have studied for 2-3 years.

What are your thoughts on this?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't bother studying all of them. I've taken many programming tests at interviews.

The whole purpose of these is to test your ability to think on your feet and how you will approach a problem. NOT whether you know what XXXX is or how to do XXXX or even the solution. Most of the questions M$ asks have very basic programming concepts. (If you don't know what a linked list is, then I don't know how you got an interview in the first place). It's your problem solving techniques they are going after.

I now work in the SE field. There are MANY problems that arise that I will never be prepared for, so I have to solve it and fix it right there and then. It defeats the purpose of these tests, if you know the answer ahead of time.

fizziks said:
I wouldn't bother studying all of them. I've taken many programming tests at interviews.

The whole purpose of these is to test your ability to think on your feet and how you will approach a problem. NOT whether you know what XXXX is or how to do XXXX or even the solution. Most of the questions M$ asks have very basic programming concepts. (If you don't know what a linked list is, then I don't know how you got an interview in the first place). It's your problem solving techniques they are going after.

I now work in the SE field. There are MANY problems that arise that I will never be prepared for, so I have to solve it and fix it right there and then. It defeats the purpose of these tests, if you know the answer ahead of time.

haha i ve actually never had an interview. IM just a sophomore in college majoring in EE, but after taking some required programming courses, i am heavily considering switching or double majoring.
My TA in one of my intro classes who is a senior shared some types of linked list questions asked in interviews.

But then, if studying them is not a good preparation, what is a good way to prepare?
Because not coming up with any answer at all doesn't seem to appealing either

Well, it's nice you know that you want to show some degree of critical thinking to the interviewer but I don't see the harm of knowing stuff 'blazingly fast'. You won't get the interviewer saying "wow, he knows his stuff pretty well. that's going to hurt his chances.". So, just prepare by learning the stuff you are interested in and leave room for the popular interview questions.

It should be obvious you got two worst case scenarios
for a) you studied
did a few of them blazingly fast maybe not so fast on a few other problems

b) you didnt study you look at the interviewer with a blank stare throughout the interview

which one is better?

1. Is it necessary to study every possible question for a programming interview?

No, it is not necessary to study every possible question for a programming interview. While it is important to prepare for an interview and have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, it is impossible to study every single question that may be asked. Instead, focus on understanding the core concepts and problem-solving skills.

2. Will studying every possible question guarantee success in a programming interview?

No, studying every possible question does not guarantee success in a programming interview. While it may increase your chances, there is no guarantee that the interviewer will ask the exact questions that you have studied. It is important to have a well-rounded understanding of the fundamentals and be able to think critically and problem-solve.

3. How can I determine which questions to focus on studying for a programming interview?

It is important to research the company and the role you are interviewing for to get an idea of the types of questions they may ask. Additionally, you can practice with a variety of different programming problems to improve your problem-solving skills and prepare for a range of potential questions.

4. Is it beneficial to study common interview questions for a programming interview?

Yes, studying common interview questions can be beneficial as it gives you an idea of the types of questions that are commonly asked and allows you to practice your problem-solving skills. However, it is important to not solely rely on pre-prepared answers and to be able to think critically and adapt to different problems.

5. How should I approach studying for a programming interview?

It is important to have a balanced approach when studying for a programming interview. Focus on understanding the fundamentals and practicing problem-solving skills. Additionally, research the company and the role you are interviewing for to get an idea of the types of questions they may ask. Lastly, don't forget to also practice your communication and interpersonal skills as they are also important in an interview setting.