What is an informal interview? (for a graduate program in the U.K.)

In summary: The most general and most important advice is: Be yourself! This is good advice. You should not try to be someone you're not. If the professor wants you to provide slides, that's fine, but don't prepare anything else. Now, my question is: what makes a graduate interview in physics "informal"? Mind you, he's asked me to provide slides and do a presentation. I'm quite puzzled.In summary, the professor wants to discuss the circumstances under which you were able to and willing to work with him, an exchange of possibilities, objections, recent developments and so forth.
yeshuamo
I have received an invitation to interview for a graduate program in the U.K. The email came from a professor who previously expressed interest in working with me and helped me write a fellowship application.

Now, my question is: what makes a graduate interview in physics "informal"? Mind you, he's asked me to provide slides and do a presentation. I'm quite puzzled.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought was: it is an euphemism. Next question would be, is it an English professor? In this case it might just mean: casual dressing code. But any double meanings aside, which I cannot know in the end, it probably means, that he wants to discuss the circumstances under which you were able to and willing to work with him, an exchange of possibilities, objections, recent developments and so forth. I don't think you should prepare something like a presentation. You should, however, make up your mind beforehand what you are expecting and what you can offer. I assume the professor himself has some ideas and will want to know, whether you can find yourself in such scenarios rather than the other way around. To prepare for answers about your expectations should do and maybe to be open towards his ideas.

Thank you, good sir, for the advice.

fresh_42 said:
My first thought was: it is an euphemism.
What might the euphemism stand for?

fresh_42 said:
I don't think you should prepare something like a presentation.
The professor did specifically ask me to prepare one.

yeshuamo said:
What might the euphemism stand for?
I thought that there is no such thing as an informal interview. People invest time and energy, so they presumably expect something to come out of it. Informal might simply mean: don't get nervous.
The professor did specifically ask me to prepare one.
In this case prepare one. As you don't know how long it has to be, you should try to prepare something between five to twenty minutes, and if possible, to be able to give both: a five minute talk as well as a twenty minute talk or simply ask. With respect to this information, informal could also mean: present your ideas and you won't be judged by scientific rigor, be creative. Another possibility is, that the presentation shall serve as a test, whether you can work on your own and how much care and attention you will need, i.e. if you require some sort of spoon feeding. It is hard to tell if one doesn't know the specific person(alitie)s.

Likes CalcNerd and yeshuamo
fresh_42 said:
I thought that there is no such thing as an informal interview. People invest time and energy, so they presumably expect something to come out of it. Informal might simply mean: don't get nervous.

In this case prepare one. As you don't know how long it has to be, you should try to prepare something between five to twenty minutes, and if possible, to be able to give both: a five minute talk as well as a twenty minute talk or simply ask. With respect to this information, informal could also mean: present your ideas and you won't be judged by scientific rigor, be creative. It is hard to tell if one doesn't know the specific person(alitie)s.
Thank you. This feels like a bit of a minefield, but I'm sure it won't look that way once admissions season is done.

yeshuamo said:
Thank you. This feels like a bit of a minefield, but I'm sure it won't look that way once admissions season is done.
Well, it is. At least as long as the participants of this discussion (check my edit, I added a sentence), as well as of the interview don't know each other very well. I experienced that there are personalities of basically all kind among professors. If you had asked me this question together with a name of a professor I knew, I would have probably answered in an even wider range, depending on the name, age and sometimes even on the location on Earth they came from. It's a colorful world out there. Even at universities or faculties.

The most general and most important advice is: Be yourself!

yeshuamo said:
Now, my question is: what makes a graduate interview in physics "informal"? Mind you, he's asked me to provide slides and do a presentation. I'm quite puzzled.
I'd be puzzled too. I'm from the US and only have experience with job interviews, but to me "informal" means lunch and a conversation as opposed to a grilling in an office. It can be related to not necessarily having a position open to fill, so not really accepting applications, but just browsing who's available.

But if that's the case, then the presentation contradicts that. So my advice is to prepare and treat it as if it is a normal/formal interview.

Likes yeshuamo

1. What is an informal interview?

An informal interview is a type of job interview where the atmosphere is more relaxed and casual, as opposed to a formal interview which usually follows a structured and professional format. It is also commonly known as a casual interview or an unstructured interview.

2. How does an informal interview differ from a formal interview?

An informal interview differs from a formal interview in terms of the setting, tone, and structure. In an informal interview, the interviewer and interviewee may have a more conversational style of communication, and the questions may not be pre-planned or standardized. It is also usually conducted in a more casual setting, such as a coffee shop or over the phone, as opposed to a formal interview which is typically held in a professional office setting.

3. What is the purpose of an informal interview for a graduate program in the U.K.?

The purpose of an informal interview for a graduate program in the U.K. is to assess a candidate's qualities and potential beyond their academic achievements. It allows the interviewer to get a better understanding of the candidate's personality, communication skills, and overall fit for the program.

4. How can I prepare for an informal interview?

To prepare for an informal interview, it is important to research the company or program you are applying for and familiarize yourself with their values and goals. You should also think about your own experiences and strengths that align with the program, and be prepared to share them in a conversational manner. It is also helpful to practice answering common interview questions in a casual tone.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in an informal interview for a graduate program in the U.K.?

Some tips for succeeding in an informal interview for a graduate program in the U.K. include being yourself and showcasing your personality and interests, actively listening and engaging in the conversation, and showing enthusiasm and passion for the program. It is also important to dress appropriately and maintain a professional demeanor, even in a more casual setting.