Programming language for Mechatronics

In summary: C# that would be much appreciated.In summary, Arianmatlab and C (or any derivative, better yet know them all).
arianabedi
Hey,

I was wondering, since mechatronics deals with control system and computer programming, what sort of programming language would be beneficial for me to start learning now before my university starts?

since i have around 6 months i though i would be good idea to start learning some stuff before hand (reading mechatronics books failed me...cant understand them yet)

Replies will be appreciated.

Arian

Physics news on Phys.org
matlab and C (or any derivative, better yet know them all).

viscousflow said:
matlab and C (or any derivative, better yet know them all).

i just got some C,C++ and C# books, guess i'll start by C then, thnx.

googled MATLAB and seemed to high tech for my right now, still have time till uni starts and kicks in (+1 year?)

On the contrary MATLAB is probably one of the easiest languages/programs you could ever learn to use. With functions such as plot(x,y) and simple( <expression> ) [simplifies expression terms], its pretty darn easy. For most things you want to do all you have to do is say it and that is the function you're looking for, e.g. "polyfit". I learned C a while back and now its a pain to go back to it when I have to.

viscousflow said:
On the contrary MATLAB is probably one of the easiest languages/programs you could ever learn to use. With functions such as plot(x,y) and simple( <expression> ) [simplifies expression terms], its pretty darn easy. For most things you want to do all you have to do is say it and that is the function you're looking for, e.g. "polyfit". I learned C a while back and now its a pain to go back to it when I have to.

I agree, python and MATLAB are really easy to work with compared with their cousin languages.

viscousflow said:

i see, well main reason i thought that was the big 3d charts they had, on the other hand I am really sure where we use this in the first place (other than HTML and java which I've had experience with in web making)

clope023 said:
I agree, python and MATLAB are really easy to work with compared with their cousin languages.
Thnx for the info both of u, how ever my question now is:

if so, would u recommend going for phyton/mathlab instead of starting C/C++?
As mentioned, i wanted to have a pre knowledge for fields of Mechatronics (and Mechanical engineering).

You will need C/C++ in mechatronics, if you can do embedded C it would be perfect. Python and other high level languages will be great to learn computer science with but won't be that useful in an embedded environment. Matlab will be very useful for the mathematical calculations. Depending on what you do Fortran may come in useful, especially if you need to do heavy number crunching (though this is more if you get into things like CFD which is more pure mech rather than mechatronics).

denks said:
You will need C/C++ in mechatronics, if you can do embedded C it would be perfect. Python and other high level languages will be great to learn computer science with but won't be that useful in an embedded environment. Matlab will be very useful for the mathematical calculations. Depending on what you do Fortran may come in useful, especially if you need to do heavy number crunching (though this is more if you get into things like CFD which is more pure mech rather than mechatronics).

ah i see, is embedded in C# ? either ways i'll have to do some researching.

Now I am starting to see this mental image of different languages. Guess C/C++ is way to go as a start, since i don't know anything other than very basic HMTL (for my front-page high school exam).

I assume other specific usage languages will be taught to be later when their used, but i guess the C series have more usage.

Time to go read my "C/C++/C# for dummies" :D

thnx all for the replies

C# is like the total opposite of embedded C in what it is used for :) Stick to C/C++ as a starting point and you can't go wrong.

denks said:
C# is like the total opposite of embedded C in what it is used for :) Stick to C/C++ as a starting point and you can't go wrong.

hehe :P well then now i know my path :D

thank you

C will be a lot more universal the C++. And at the embedded level, there's little need for the extensions to C that C++ offers.

About MATLAB, from my understanding it can read C/C++ code. Is this true?

Jokerhelper said:
About MATLAB, from my understanding it can read C/C++ code. Is this true?

http://cnx.org/content/m12348/latest/

http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f29502.html

Last edited by a moderator:
physiker_192 said:
http://cnx.org/content/m12348/latest/

http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f29502.html

That's great. I was trying to use MATLAB a few months ago at school but I could never get it to do anything meaningful since I was trying to work with symbolic data. Now that I'm taking this C++ course I might try it out again. Thanks!

Same. I haven't heard about that, pretty awesome. Too bad I'm running linux with no access to MATLAB... I'll just have to write my C++ and compile it like normal programmers.

hadsed said:
Same. I haven't heard about that, pretty awesome. Too bad I'm running linux with no access to MATLAB... I'll just have to write my C++ and compile it like normal programmers.

Have you heard about Octave?

Yes, I use that and SAGE [with Python] for quick computations. I use SAGE because of their symbolic stuff that's somewhat like Mathematica, although MATLAB has a symbolic toolbox as well but Octave doesn't come with it. There's a way to get symbolic algebra/calculus/DE's working with Octave but I've never been able to make it work.

Related to Programming language for Mechatronics

What is a programming language for Mechatronics?

A programming language for Mechatronics is a computer language used to write code for Mechatronics systems, which combine mechanical, electrical, and computer components to create a functioning system.

What are the most commonly used programming languages for Mechatronics?

The most commonly used programming languages for Mechatronics are C, C++, Java, and Python. These languages are widely used in the industry due to their versatility and ability to handle real-time applications.

Do I need to know a specific programming language to work in the field of Mechatronics?

While it is helpful to have knowledge of at least one programming language, it is not a requirement to work in Mechatronics. Many Mechatronics engineers have a background in mechanical or electrical engineering and learn programming languages on the job.

What are the advantages of using a programming language for Mechatronics?

Using a programming language for Mechatronics allows for greater control and flexibility in designing and implementing complex systems. It also enables communication between different components of a Mechatronics system and allows for data analysis and optimization.

Are there any resources available to help me learn a programming language for Mechatronics?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as online tutorials, books, and courses, to help you learn a programming language for Mechatronics. You can also reach out to professionals in the field or join online communities to get support and guidance in your learning journey.