Programming languages for aerospace

In summary: There are a few small groups that use ruby.I don't know much about java, but I don't think it would be a good option for aerospace. It is too slow.
orb_yt
It seems a lot of stuff done for aerospace is in C/C++ or Python. Both of these are a few decades old now, and they seem to still dominate in the industry. I know that ESA has plans to start using Java, but what other current programming languages do you think would be viable options for use in aerospace?

Technology news on Phys.org
C and C++ are not going to go away any time soon. They are too useful and too important. Maybe julia will gain popularity, but who knows?

Khashishi said:
C and C++ are not going to go away any time soon. They are too useful and too important. Maybe julia will gain popularity, but who knows?

I wouldn't expect them too, with how ingrained and wide-spread they are in the industry. But is there any limitations to using them? Using something designed 40 years ago for modern tech just seems...weird.

There is a difference between code for engineering analysis versus code for operational flight programs (OFPs) that run on the plane.

The strict testing and development process requirements for OFPs severely limit the languages that can be used. So does the fact that OFPs run on a small subset of hardware and operating systems that only offer selected language compilers. C is common for OFPs. There are also a smaller number of Ada and C++ OFP programs. I am not aware of any Python or Java OFP code. A growing trend is to use design tools (often graphical) that auto-generate code. There is a lot of auto-generated C and C++ OFP code.

For engineering analysis, the design tools can have a variety of languages. You should remember that many algorithms might end up in an OFP and having them in an acceptable OFP language is a great benefit. There is a lot of Python and Java code in the analysis tools that are guaranteed to not become OFP algorithms.

C++ and legacy FORTRAN are the major languages in aerospace. I have some groups who use Perl and the occasional person who uses python. We have shied away from java in my particular group, it is too slow.

Related to Programming languages for aerospace

1. What are the most commonly used programming languages in the aerospace industry?

The most commonly used programming languages in the aerospace industry are C, C++, and Java. These languages are chosen for their reliability, efficiency, and ability to handle complex calculations and data processing.

2. Are there any specific programming languages that are used exclusively in aerospace?

Yes, there are a few programming languages that are used exclusively in aerospace, such as Fortran and Ada. These languages were specifically designed for scientific and engineering applications, making them well-suited for aerospace projects.

3. What factors are considered when choosing a programming language for aerospace projects?

When choosing a programming language for aerospace projects, factors such as reliability, efficiency, compatibility with existing systems, and the ability to handle complex calculations and data processing are taken into consideration. The language must also have a strong support community and be well-documented.

4. Is it necessary for aerospace engineers to have knowledge of multiple programming languages?

While it is not necessary for aerospace engineers to have knowledge of multiple programming languages, it can be beneficial. Different projects may require different languages, and having knowledge of multiple languages can make an engineer more versatile and adaptable.

5. Are there any programming languages that are specifically used for flight control systems?

Yes, there are programming languages that are specifically used for flight control systems, such as Simulink and LabVIEW. These languages are designed for real-time control and simulation, making them ideal for flight control systems in aerospace.