Programming newbie trying to learn C

• Thread starter rtmich224
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary: That is what I did and it worked out really well for me.In my opinion one should start with K&R, then move on to Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets, and then use C: A Reference Manual as just that.
rtmich224
I have no background knowledge of any computer language whatsoever. I have been following several online beginner tutorials in C and want to continue learning the language. I am using Xcode as a compiler.
I have ordered "Learn C on the Mac: For OS X and iOS"
David Mark (Author), James Bucanek (Author), and am wondering if this is a good starting point. I plan on taking a class (C++ is offered not C) but that will be several months out.

Is anyone familiar with the book I ordered and can anyone recommend some good books or starting points? Possibly a book to use in conjunction with what I already ordered to make things a little easier? Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
There is only one book about C, K&R.

Borek said:
There is only one book about C, K&R.

+1 on that.

The only problem with K&R is the prerequisite. You don't need to know anything about computer programming, but you do have to know how to read accurately. It isn't written on the principle that a thousand woolly words are easier to understand than one precise one.

If you want more examples to go with K&R, get "Software tools" by Kernighan and Plauger.

AlephZero said:
The only problem with K&R is the prerequisite. You don't need to know anything about computer programming, but you do have to know how to read accurately. It isn't written on the principle that a thousand woolly words are easier to understand than one precise one.

If you want more examples to go with K&R, get "Software tools" by Kernighan and Plauger.

can you elaborate on this in simpler/layman terms? Thank you

Ryan

There are three books on C I like: K&R, then Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets, and finally, C: A Reference Manual.

I know that you're asking about the book, but let me point you in the direction of a different compiler / IDE. I've never used XCode, so I can't say anything negative about it.

However, I can say that CodeBlocks is a wonderful compiler/IDE. It is also compatible with Mac. I would suggest using CodeBlocks instead of XCode in case you ever have to do your coding on a Windows computer. Since XCode is only compatible with Mac, it seems to me like getting familiar with CodeBlocks would be in your best interest.

jhae2.718 said:
There are three books on C I like: K&R, then Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets, and finally, C: A Reference Manual.

Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets is such an excellent book. Highly recommended. I guess you could say it's an excellent second book on C.

Grep said:
Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets is such an excellent book. Highly recommended. I guess you could say it's an excellent second book on C.

In my opinion one should start with K&R, then move on to Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets, and then use C: A Reference Manual as just that.

1. What is C programming?

C is a high-level programming language that was originally developed in the 1970s for the purpose of creating the UNIX operating system. It is a powerful and efficient language that is used for a wide range of applications, including operating systems, games, and embedded systems.

2. How difficult is it to learn C as a beginner programmer?

Learning C can be challenging for beginner programmers, as it requires a strong understanding of computer science principles and a solid foundation in programming concepts. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn C and become proficient in it.

3. What are the benefits of learning C?

Learning C can open up many opportunities for a programmer, as it is used in a wide range of industries and applications. It can also help improve problem-solving skills and provide a better understanding of how computers work at a low level.

4. What resources are available for learning C?

There are many resources available for learning C, such as online tutorials, books, and courses. It is also helpful to practice writing code and participating in coding challenges to improve your skills.

5. Is it necessary to learn C before learning other programming languages?

No, it is not necessary to learn C before learning other programming languages. However, learning C can provide a strong foundation for understanding programming concepts and can make learning other languages easier in the future.