Project: Ball Launcher - Calculate Torque and RPM

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics project involving throwing a ball 5 meters to a target. The person plans to use 2 counter rotating wheels but is unsure of the motors' torque and rpm. They tried to calculate the velocity needed for the ball to bounce 6 meters after reaching the target and estimated a torque of 40nm. However, they are unsure if a velocity of 30m/s is appropriate and are looking for guidance. The person also mentions the ball's mass and considers using handy motors for experimentation.
Pencil123
Hi! I am making a physics project and I need to throw a ball to a target which is 5 meters ahead. I will use 2 counter rotating wheels to throw the ball but I have no idea what should motors torque or rpm should be. I tried to calculate it with determining the velocity first but the ball needs to bounce in 6 meters after they get through the target. About 30m/s I calculated a torque like 40nm using 1/2mv2=2τΔθ . But I'm not sure if 30m/s is enough or too much. I need a velocity which is not too much so it can get to the ground in 11m but also not too little so I can take aim easily without aiming too above. I would be happy if you could help me about it. Also I would be happy if you help me about the rpm of the motors.
Edit: Balls mass is 270 grams.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to pf,
Why not get some motors that are handy and try it?

(To get the bounce right, you will need some trial and error anyway.)

Related to Project: Ball Launcher - Calculate Torque and RPM

1. What is the purpose of "Project: Ball Launcher - Calculate Torque and RPM"?

The purpose of this project is to design and build a ball launcher that can accurately calculate the required torque and RPM to launch a ball a specific distance and trajectory.

2. What are the key components needed for the ball launcher?

The key components needed for the ball launcher include a motor, gears, a launching mechanism, and sensors to measure torque and RPM.

3. How do you calculate the required torque and RPM for the ball launcher?

The required torque and RPM can be calculated using the equation T = I x α, where T is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration. The moment of inertia can be determined by measuring the mass and dimensions of the object being launched, and the angular acceleration can be measured using sensors.

4. How does torque and RPM affect the distance and trajectory of the ball?

The torque and RPM determine the amount of force and speed at which the ball is launched. A higher torque and RPM will result in a greater force and speed, which can affect the distance and trajectory of the ball.

5. How can the ball launcher be improved for better performance?

The ball launcher can be improved by using more powerful motors, optimizing gear ratios, and fine-tuning the launching mechanism. Additionally, using more accurate sensors and refining the calculations for torque and RPM can also improve the performance of the ball launcher.