Projectile motion absolutely puzzled

In summary, the projectile moves in the y-direction and reaches a maximum height of 2.12m. In the x-direction, the projectile travels 1m before reaching its maximum height.
robcowlam
I am trying to calculate the initial velocity, u and angle of projection(theta) of a projectile. The projectile is fired from 1.06m above the ground and from this point reaches a maximum of 2.12m from the ground. The distance traveled in the x-direction when the projectile reaches its maximum height is 1m.
This is all the information given in the question.

I am taking my x-axis to be the horizontal direction and the y-axis the vertical direction, calling the point where the projectile is fired from the origin.

I have tried to get a solution in the following way:
Motion in y-direction:
a=dv/dt
a dt = dv
integrating both sides gives:
a.t = 0 - uSin(theta) (where u is initial velocity and v is final velocity)
dividing by a gives an expression for the time taken to reach maximum height.

Motion in the x-direction:
S=ut +0.5at^2
however a = 0
so; 1=uCos(theta).t

Substituting in t from earlier gives:
9.81=(u^2) Cos(theta)Sin(theta) from which i get u^2=9.81/sin(theta)cos(theta)

In the y direction again:
v^2 -u^2 = 2as
20.8=9.81/sin(theta)cos(theta)
9.81/20.8=sin(theta)cos(theta)
2(0.47)=2sin(theta)cos(theta) using the trig ID sin(2A)=SinACosA
sin(2theta)=0.94
and theta =35degrees;

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Thanks!

However this is not the answer given with the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello rob,If I'm following you correctly you seem to have three unknowns(u,t and theta) but two equations.

For motion in the y direction and to reach the greatest height you have three givens

Final velocity at top(v)=0
distance(s)=1.06(you didnt seem to use s in your attempt)
acceleration(a)=g
With this you could use a suitable equation of motion eg
v squared = u squared -2gs

ok I see what you're saying, I've had another go and I've got 3 equations and 3 unknowns but I can't seem to solve them simultaneously.
My 3 equations are:
2=U.t.Cos(theta)
1.06=U.t.Sin(theta)-4.905t^2
0=USin(theta)-9.81t

Ive tried to rearrange each equation and substitute them into each other but it gets really complicated and I don't seem to get the right answer. I thought of using a matrix and gauss' elimination to do it but am unsure how to build up an augmented matrix as the variables will not separate.
Any advice?

Hello rob.Oh the deep joy of getting bogged down in simultaneous equations.
From your equation three... usin(theta)= 9.81t
subbing into equation two we get:
1.06=9.81t^2-4.905t^2=4.905t^2.From this t can be found
Look again at your equation one above.When the projectile reaches its greatest height the horizontal distance traveled is one metre not two.

usin(theta)=9.81t...(a) and
ucos(theta)=1/t...(b)
sin(theta)/cos(theta)=tan(theta) so if (a) is divided by(b) the u cancels and we have an expression for tan(theta) that can be subbed back to find u.

Last edited:
Got it! I was overcomplicating it by obtaining an expression for t instead of usin(theta)!
Thanks for your help!

Related to Projectile motion absolutely puzzled

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space, under the influence of gravity, after being given an initial velocity.

What is the difference between projectile motion and regular motion?

The main difference between projectile motion and regular motion is that in projectile motion, the object is moving in a curved path due to the influence of gravity, while in regular motion, the object is moving in a straight line.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the air resistance, and the mass of the object.

How can we calculate the range of projectile motion?

The range of projectile motion can be calculated using the formula R = (V^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include a person throwing a ball, a cannonball being fired from a cannon, a basketball being shot into a hoop, and a rocket launching into space.