Projectile Motion Cat Ledge Problem Solution

In summary, the problem posed is to determine the distance between a wall and a ledge that a cat lands on after jumping over the wall at a speed of 15m/s and an angle of 35 degrees. After attempting a solution using the range equation and Pythagorean theorem, a distance of 16.86m was calculated. However, further clarification is needed regarding the cat's maximum height and whether the given angle is the takeoff angle. A diagram would be helpful in obtaining more information to solve the problem accurately.
kj99

Homework Statement

A cat leaps over a 1.5m wall with a speed of 15m/s and at an angle of 35 degrees. The cat lands on the edge of a ledge that is 1.5m tall, how far is the ledge from the wall?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the range equation to find the entire horizontal distance it could have traveled if there was no ledge (21.14m). Then subtracted that by the distance between the cat and the wall (Pythagorean theorem) and also subtracted that by the distance between the ledge and where it would have landed if there was no ledge. I got a distance of 16.86m and it's wrong lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
kj99 said:
... the distance between the cat and the wall
I don't understand how you calculated that.
Also, it is unclear whether the cat reaches its highest point before or after clearing the wall. Is there more info?
Whatever, it's one hell of a cat.

haruspex said:
I don't understand how you calculated that.
Also, it is unclear whether the cat reaches its highest point before or after clearing the wall. Is there more info?
Whatever, it's one hell of a cat.

It jumps at 35 degrees and the wall is 1.5m so tan35=1.5/x.
It reaches its max height after the wall and lands on the 1.5m tall ledge.

kj99 said:
It jumps at 35 degrees and the wall is 1.5m so tan35=1.5/x.
It reaches its max height after the wall and lands on the 1.5m tall ledge.
I would think the given angle is the take off angle. Indeed, you assumed that to get the 21m distance. That will be higher than the angle from take off point to top of wall.

I don't think it can be answered without a diagram to provide more information.

Have you tried using the initial x and y components of the initial velocity and then
calculating the time required to reach a final height of 1.5 m?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that is characterized by a constant acceleration in the vertical direction and a constant velocity in the horizontal direction.

2. How does projectile motion relate to the "cat problem"?

The "cat problem" is a classic example used to demonstrate projectile motion. In this problem, a cat is dropped from a certain height and its motion is calculated using the principles of projectile motion.

3. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of projection, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the trajectory, range, and height of the projectile.

4. Can you explain the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the horizontal motion is constant and is not affected by gravity. The vertical motion, on the other hand, is affected by gravity and is characterized by a constant acceleration.

5. How is projectile motion used in real-world applications?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in sports (e.g. throwing a ball), in military technology (e.g. missile trajectory), and in space exploration (e.g. trajectory of a spacecraft). It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and other forces on objects in motion.