Projectile Motion: Finding Vertical Distance in 2-D without Air Resistance

In summary, the toy cannon fires a .089kg shell with an initial velocity of 8.9 m/s at an angle of 56* above the horizontal. The shell's trajectory curves downward due to gravity, so at time t=.615s the shell is below the straight line by some vertical distance deltaH. This distance deltaH in the absence of air resistance is 2.68443 m.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

A toy cannon fires a .089kg shell with an initial velocity of 8.9 m/s at an angle of 56* above the horizontal. The shell's trajectory curves downward due to gravity, so at time t=.615s the shell is below the straight line by some vertical distance deltaH. Find this distance deltaH in the absence of air resistance. Answer in units of meters

Homework Equations

yf=yi+ vyit+1/2ayt2

xf=xi+ vxit+1/2axt2

vyi=visin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

vxi=vicos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have tried two different methods of approaching this problem but still no luck. Here is what I have:

vyi=8.9m/s(sin56)=7.378434 m/s
vxi=8.9m/s(cos56)=4.976816 m/s

[tex]\Delta[/tex]h=7.378434m/s(.615s)-4.9m/s2(.615s)2
=2.68443 m

This answer was rejected as incorrect so I tried another method. I figured that I could form a triangle with the given data with vias the hypotenuse and x was found using the following:

xf=vxit
=4.976816(.615)=3.06074184 m

Using this I solved for y in a right triangle as usual with pythagorous at my disposal and obtained a length of 4.53774m which again was rejected... Any insight as to where I am missing something? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you're interpreting the question correctly.

Agent M27 said:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]h=7.378434m/s(.615s)-4.9m/s2(.615s)2
=2.68443 m

This answer was rejected as incorrect so I tried another method.

This is the vertical distance traveled by the shell. You don't want that. What you want is the difference between the vertical distances that would be traveled with and without the acceleration g. Without g, the shell's trajectory is a straight line. With g, it's a parabola. This question is asking: at time t, what is the vertical separation between the straight line trajectory and the corresponding parabolic one?

So then it ought to be 4.9(.615^2)? I guess I can see that since that is how far it would fall after that amount of time correct? Thanks.

Joe

Agent M27 said:
So then it ought to be 4.9(.615^2)? I guess I can see that since that is how far it would fall after that amount of time correct? Thanks.

Joe

Yes, because:

ystraight = vy0t

and

yparabolic =vy0t - (1/2)gt2

Hence, the difference in height between them is given by:

ystraight - yparabolic = vy0t - [vy0t - (1/2)gt2 ]

= (1/2)gt2

I would first commend the student for their efforts in trying to solve the problem and for seeking help when they faced difficulties. Next, I would suggest that they review the equations they used and make sure they are using the correct units for each variable. It is also important to double check the calculations to ensure they are accurate.

In this problem, it seems like the student is trying to use the equations for projectile motion, but they are missing some key components. First, the equations they used are for calculating the final position (xf and yf) based on the initial position (xi and yi) and the initial velocity (vxi and vyi). However, in this problem, the student is given the final position (below the straight line at time t=0.615s) and is asked to find the initial position (vertical distance deltaH).

To solve this problem, the student needs to use the equations for finding the vertical distance (deltaH) in projectile motion, which are:

deltaH = vyi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2

where vyi is the vertical component of the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2).

Using the given values, the student can plug in the numbers and solve for deltaH. The result should be approximately 1.89 meters.

It is also important to note that in the absence of air resistance, the horizontal component of the initial velocity (vxi) would not affect the vertical distance traveled. This means that the student's second approach of using a right triangle to solve for y is not necessary in this problem.

Overall, it is important for the student to carefully read the problem and identify the given information and what is being asked for. They should also review the relevant equations and make sure they are using the correct ones for the given problem. With practice and attention to detail, they will be able to solve similar problems successfully.

Related to Projectile Motion: Finding Vertical Distance in 2-D without Air Resistance

1. What is projectile motion in two dimensions?

Projectile motion in two dimensions is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air at an angle, and then follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity. This motion can be broken down into two components: horizontal and vertical.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile is calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. These equations can be solved to determine the horizontal and vertical displacement of the projectile at any given time.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the projectile may also have an impact on the range.

4. Can the range of a projectile be increased?

Yes, the range of a projectile can be increased by increasing the initial velocity, choosing an optimal angle of launch, and reducing the effects of air resistance. However, the acceleration due to gravity remains constant and cannot be changed.

5. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile in two dimensions?

The maximum height reached by a projectile in two dimensions is achieved at the apex of its trajectory, when the vertical velocity becomes zero. This height can be calculated using the equations of motion and is dependent on the initial velocity and angle of launch.