Projectile Motion Homework: Finding Maximum Height and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial velocity and angle of a projectile, and how to calculate its maximum height. The equation Y(t) = Y0 + Vy0t - 1/2at^2 is used to solve for the time at which the projectile reaches its maximum height, but the solutions obtained from this equation are incorrect. It is suggested to use more decimal places and round at the end, or to consider the time it takes for an object dropped from the maximum height to hit the ground.
LiiArch

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired at 57.5 deg above the horizontal. Its initial speed is equal to 175.0 m/s. Assume that the free-fall acceleration is constant throughout and that the effects of the air can be ignored. What is the maximum height reached by the projectile? At what time being after being fired does the projectile reach this maximum height?

Homework Equations

Y(t) = Y0 + Vy0t - 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I already figured out that the maximum height would be 1110 m. So I thought I could plug that into the equation above and figure out t.

1110 = 0 + 142.5t - 4.905t^2

How do I solve this? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equation already; are you asking how to solve for t?

It's a quadratic equation...

EDIT: That equation doesn't have any real solutions; are you sure that 142.5 is the initial velocity in the y-direction?

Yes. That's why I'm so confused.

I enter 1.11 x 10^3 for the first part and it reads back correct, so 1110 is the max height.

Let me double check the y velocity.

sin(57.5) = Vy/V0
sin(57.5) = Vy/175.0
175.0*sin(57.5) = Vy
147.6 = Vy

Why do I keep doing this? I need to double check better.

EDIT: 1110 = 147.6t - 4.905t^2

Solutions for this come out to 15.32615142 and 14.7655917. These both come up as incorrect.

Last edited:
LiiArch said:
EDIT: 1110 = 147.6t - 4.905t^2

Solutions for this come out to 15.32615142 and 14.7655917. These both come up as incorrect.

Keep some additional decimal places in your intermediate results, and round at the end. Quadratics can sometimes be 'sensitive' that way. Round the result to an appropriate number of significant figures; some software is picky about this!

To make your life a bit easier, you might also want to recognize that the maximum height achieved represents the halfway point of the trajectory; the projectile will take just as much time to fall from that height as it did to reach that height. So the result can also be found by considering the time it would take for an object dropped from that height to hit the ground. If h is the distance from the release point to the ground, then [itex] h = \frac{1}{2}g t^2 [/itex]. Solve for t.

I don't get my answer yet please somebody helps me...

Related to Projectile Motion Homework: Finding Maximum Height and Time

1. What is simple projectile motion?

Simple projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity, without any external forces acting on it.

2. What are the key factors that affect simple projectile motion?

The key factors that affect simple projectile motion are the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the trajectory of an object in simple projectile motion determined?

The trajectory of an object in simple projectile motion is determined by the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. These factors, along with the object's mass, determine the shape of the parabolic path that the object follows.

4. Is there any way to predict the landing point of an object in simple projectile motion?

Yes, the landing point of an object in simple projectile motion can be predicted using the equations of motion and the known initial conditions of the object. These equations take into account the object's initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity to calculate the distance and time it will travel before reaching the ground.

5. Can simple projectile motion be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, simple projectile motion is commonly used to describe the motion of objects such as projectiles, balls, and even vehicles. It can also be used for more complex scenarios, such as the motion of a baseball thrown by a pitcher or the trajectory of a rocket launched into space.