Projectile Motion Kinematics: A catapult launches a rock....

In summary, the ball reaches the castle with an initial velocity of 50m/s and displaces an amount x at a time t. The ball must clear 3.5m at 10m away to make it over the castle wall.
DracoMalfoy

Homework Statement

A catapult launches a rock with an initial velocity of 50m/s at 35 degrees above the horizontal. The rock must clear 3.5m at 10m away in order to make it over a castle wall to get to the enemy. Do the knights succeed? By how much do they clear the wall or miss clearing the wall? (Ans: 3.1m)

Homework Equations

X-direction[/B]
  • Vfx=Vix: Vicosθ
  • a= 0m/s
  • Δx=Vix(t)
Y-direction
  • Viy=Visinθ
  • Vfy-Visinθ+gt
  • Δy=(visinθ)(t)+1/2gt^2
  • Vfy^2=(Visinθ)^2+2gΔy
  • Δy=1/2(Vfy+Visinθ)(t)
  • a=-9.8m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture. TheViy is 28.6. The Vix and Vfx is 40.9. The acceleration in the x-direction is zero. In the y-direction its -9.8m/s^2. Am I supposed to the Δy and then subtract it from 3.5 which is the height of the castle at 10m away?

Physics news on Phys.org
DracoMalfoy said:
Am I supposed to the Δy and then subtract it from 3.5 which is the height of the castle at 10m away?
It seems like that would answer the questions.

You have Y as function of (t)

Why don't calculates Y value at x=10m? (You must do a previous calculation with the X equation)

DracoMalfoy said:
  • Viy=Visinθ
  • Vfy-Visinθ+gt

You are welcome to choose up or down as positive, but you must be consistent. In the first equation you have chosen up as positive. In the second equation (I assume that “-“ was supposed to be an “=“ right?) you have gt as positive which would suggest down is positive. Fix one or the other.

DracoMalfoy said:

Homework Statement

A catapult launches a rock with an initial velocity of 50m/s at 35 degrees above the horizontal. The rock must clear 3.5m at 10m away in order to make it over a castle wall to get to the enemy. Do the knights succeed? By how much do they clear the wall or miss clearing the wall? (Ans: 3.1m)

Homework Equations

X-direction[/B]
  • Vfx=Vix: Vicosθ
  • a= 0m/s
  • Δx=Vix(t)
Y-direction
  • Viy=Visinθ
  • Vfy-Visinθ+gt
  • Δy=(visinθ)(t)+1/2gt^2
  • Vfy^2=(Visinθ)^2+2gΔy
  • Δy=1/2(Vfy+Visinθ)(t)
  • a=-9.8m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture. The Viy is 28.6. The Vix and Vfx is 40.9. The acceleration in the x-direction is zero. In the y-direction its -9.8m/s^2. Am I supposed to the Δy and then subtract it from 3.5 which is the height of the castle at 10m away?
You asked:
" Am I supposed to the Δy and then subtract it from 3.5 which is the height of the castle at 10m away? "​
If you plan to do that, how do you get a value for Δy ? What would you use for a value for time, t ?

Regarding Post #4 by @Cutter Ketch : It appears that you are using a negative value for g, namely −9.8 m/s2, so your sign conventions should work just fine.

If given these two equations

##y-y_0=v_{y_0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2## [1]

where
##y## is the final height above ground
##y_0## is the initial height of the ball (ground level)
##v_{y_0}## is the initial velocity of the ball (ground level)
##t## is the time of flight of ball
##g## is gravity from what I have read you assign as ##-g##

and the other equation

##x=v_{x}t## [2]
where
##x## is the displacement of the ball at a given time
##v_x## is the horizontal velocity

can you see away of substituting one of these equations into the other, what dose equation [1] and [2] have in common?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity, without any additional propulsion. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does a catapult launch a rock?

A catapult uses stored energy to launch an object, such as a rock, through the air. The energy is stored in the form of tension in the catapult's arm or spring, and when released, it propels the object forward.

3. What is the role of gravity in projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In projectile motion, the force of gravity acts on the object as it moves through the air, causing it to follow a curved path rather than a straight line.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before landing back on the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of an object through the air. It can decrease the speed and alter the trajectory of a projectile, making it more difficult to predict its path accurately.