Projectile motion maximization

In summary, In multiple-criteria decision analysis, a weighting factor is used to assign a relative importance to one or more criteria while satisfying other constraints.
fog37
Hello Forum,

I am aware that in order to maximize the time of flight, for an object being launched from a certain level and returning to the same level, the launching angle must be theta=90 degrees.
To maximize range instead (same level to same level) the angle should be theta=45 degrees (no air resistance).

What if we wanted to maximize both time of flight and range simultaneously? What approach would we choose? How would we manipulate the kinematic equations? The angle should be more than 45 (intuitively). But maybe the 45 degree angle which produces the longest distance requires the horizontal velocity component to act for the longest time possible... So maybe 45 degrees maximizes both range and time of flight at the same time...thanks,
fog37

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fog,

You need to establish a weight function to optimize two variables using only one independent variable.
In other words: what is the relative importance of range versus duration ?

I am thinking projectile design, perhaps a (lifting body design) like the old wingless Xplanes. But how would you fire it? Sabo maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifting_body

Thanks BvU.

That is an interesting comment. Could you give me a simple example about the weight function?

thanks,
fog37

fog37 said:
Thanks BvU.

That is an interesting comment. Could you give me a simple example about the weight function?

thanks,
fog37
Well, if they pay you ten dollars for each second and two dollars for each meter, you want to maximize 10 * time-of-flight + 2 * distance :smile:

This is like painting a wall as red as possible and as green as possible at the same time. Can't be done unless you allow some combination of both. You need another rule/equation to work out how much of each colour to use.

Now I think about it...

If you had to achieve a specific range (that is less than the maximum possible) there are two possible launch angles. One has a longer flight time than the other. That's the only other way I can make sense of your question without introducing a weighting factor.

When I referred to (lifting body) I was thinking in simple terms of shape of projectile and areo dynamics. Maximizing time of flight. That is if you are also building a launcher. I have no idea if it's possible to fire a projectile that once it loses its peek volosity if it will (glide) in an arc.

Sure is. I have a catapult launched glider that folds up for vertical launch and unfolds when it slows down..

Google zing wing

Hello,
thanks for all your comments. I just used Excel to make some calculation.

An object is launched from ground level and lands at ground level. The initial speed is 10 m/s. I have calculated the time of flight and range for different launching angles. The maximum range is obtained for theta=45 degrees. The maximum time is obtain for theta=90 degrees.

I then calculated the product (range* time of flight) for every different launching angle between 0 and 90. It turns out that the launching angle theta= 55 degrees gives the highest product between the calculated ranges and respective times of flight... Would that be the angle that manages to get the largest range and largest time possible at the same time?

Am I use a weighting factor, implicitly, when I look for the maximum product (range* time of flight)?

thanks,
fog37

I was thinking more along the lines of a solid lifting body shaped object fired from a pneumatic cannon with a sabo. But I suppose the principal would be the same though. Thanks for the confirmation.

What is projectile motion maximization?

Projectile motion maximization is the process of finding the optimal angle and velocity for a projectile to travel the furthest distance or reach the highest point.

What are the factors that affect projectile motion maximization?

The factors that affect projectile motion maximization include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force.

How is projectile motion maximization calculated?

To calculate projectile motion maximization, the equations of Newton's laws of motion and the principles of trigonometry are used to determine the optimal angle and velocity for the projectile.

What are some real-life applications of projectile motion maximization?

Projectile motion maximization has many real-life applications, including in sports such as basketball and football, where players need to make long-distance shots. It is also used in engineering and design of projectiles, such as rockets and missiles.

What are some common misconceptions about projectile motion maximization?

One common misconception is that the angle of launch does not affect the distance of a projectile, when in fact it plays a crucial role in maximizing the distance or height reached. Another misconception is that air resistance can be ignored, when in reality it can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile.