Projectile motion trajectories differing from 45 degrees

In summary, the individual is asking for help in proving that angles that differ from 45 degrees by the same amount will yield the same range in 2-dimensional projectile motion. They mention using the formula V^2 * sin(2ø) / g to calculate the range, and someone suggests using sin(α + β) = sin(α)cos(β) + cos(α)sin(β) to solve the problem. The individual then clarifies that it is cos(c) in both cases and thanks the person for their help.
bongobl
Hi guys, I am stuck with a problem here.
First, It is given that for 2-dimensional projectile motion, a trajectory of 45 degrees will yield the greatest range. However, how do I show that angles that differ from 45 degrees by the same amount will yield the same range? For example, the range of a 40 degree angle will equal that of a 50 degree angle?

I know that the range of a projectile as a function of time is given by V^2 * sin(2ø) / g where V is the initial velocity and ø is the angle. I just don't know how to prove that the angle 45 + c will give give the same range as 45 - c, can anyone help me please?

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I see,
since sin(α + β) = sin(α)cos(β) + cos(α)sin(β),
and cos(90) = 0, I am left with sin(a)cos(B) in both cases,
thanks for the help!

It is cos (c) in both cases. Sin of 90 is 1 and cos (-c)=cos (c).

Likes gracy
nasu said:
It is cos (c) in both cases. Sin of 90 is 1 and cos (-c)=cos (c).
But how this answers @bongobl's question?
bongobl said:
I just don't know how to prove that the angle 45 + c will give give the same range as 45 - c,

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle other than 45 degrees?

The trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle other than 45 degrees can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational acceleration. These equations include the horizontal distance traveled, vertical displacement, and time of flight.

2. Why do projectile motion trajectories differ from 45 degrees?

Projectile motion trajectories differ from 45 degrees because the angle of launch affects the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity. When launched at an angle other than 45 degrees, the vertical component will be greater or less than the horizontal component, resulting in a different trajectory.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle other than 45 degrees?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle other than 45 degrees. It can cause the projectile to deviate from its predicted path, resulting in a shorter or longer range depending on the direction and strength of the wind.

4. Can a projectile launched at an angle other than 45 degrees still follow a parabolic path?

Yes, a projectile launched at an angle other than 45 degrees can still follow a parabolic path. As long as the only force acting on the projectile is gravity, it will follow a parabolic trajectory. However, external factors such as air resistance can cause the path to deviate from a perfect parabola.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the range and height of a projectile?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the range and height of a projectile. When launched at an angle of less than 45 degrees, the projectile will have a greater horizontal range but a lower peak height. Conversely, when launched at an angle greater than 45 degrees, the projectile will have a shorter range but a higher peak height.