• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Length of Polar Curve

• Thread starter opus
  • Start date

opus

Gold Member
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use Desmos to graph the spiral ##r=\theta## on the interval ##0\leq\theta\leq4\pi##, and then determine the exact length of the curve and a four decimal approximation.

Hint: ##\int \sec^3(x)dx=\frac{1}{2}\sec(x)tan(x)+\frac{1}{2}\ln\left|\sec(x)+\tan(x)\right|+C##

2. Relevant equations
Arc Length of a Polar Curve is given as:
$$\begin{align} S & = \int_\alpha^{\beta}\sqrt{\left[f(\theta)\right]^2+\left[f'(\theta)\right]^2}d\theta\\
& = \int_\alpha^{\beta}\sqrt{r^2+\left(\frac{dr}{d\theta}\right)^2}d\theta \end{align}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
I have attached the required graph from Desmos.

Right off the bat, I am stuck here.
I start off with ##S=\int_0^{4\pi}\sqrt{(\theta)^2 + (\theta')^2}## and this makes no sense.
I also tried using the identity ##r^2=x^2+y^2## but then it of course gave me a nasty polynomial in two variables as the integrand.

I'm not seeing where this hint is coming into play.
Any ideas?

Attachments

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
What is ##d\theta/d\theta##?
Also: Change of integration variables...

opus

Gold Member
Ok I see it now I think, but I'm a little shaky on the nuances here.

From your hint, I got rid of the ##S = \int_\alpha^{\beta}\sqrt{\left[f(\theta)\right]^2+\left[f'(\theta)\right]^2}d\theta## and replaced it with ##\int_\alpha^{\beta}\sqrt{r^2+\left(\frac{dr}{d\theta}\right)^2}d\theta##
From here, ##\int_\alpha^{\beta}\sqrt{r^2+\left(\frac{d\theta}{d\theta}\right)^2}d\theta = \int_\alpha^{\beta}\sqrt{r^2+1}d\theta##
Then I let ##r=\tan(\theta)## and make the appropriate trigonometric substitutions and I get what's given in the hint.

Now for the "nuances" I mentioned, I am unsure exactly what to do with the interplay between the ##r## and ##\theta## here. What I did in my work, which I will post as an image, is kind of swap the r's for the theta's, and change the limits of integration from ##\alpha## and ##\beta## to ##a## and ##b##. I'm really not sure how to handle this in a mathematically proper way.

If you wouldn't mind having a look at my work in the image to see what I mean (kind of hard to explain in words), could you guide me in the right direction on how the notation/change of variables needs to be handled appropriately?

Attachments

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
No, that is not correct, ##r = \theta##, not ##\tan\theta##.

opus

Gold Member
Ahhh I see what you mean. It wasn't pretty, but looks like my solution matches the answer key now. Thank you!

opus

Gold Member
To show my work in helps of connecting the two threads:
Starting from ##\int_0^{4\pi}\sqrt{\theta^2+1}d\theta##,
Using u-substitution,
Let ##\theta=\tan(u)## and ##d\theta=\sec^2(u)du##

##\int_0^{\tan^{-1}{4\pi}}\sqrt{\tan^2(u)+1}\sec^2(u)du##
##=\int_0^{\tan^{-1}{4\pi}}\sec^3(u)du##
Which is followed by some messy algebra and trigonometry that evaluates approximately to 80.8.