What Launch Angle Does an Archer Fish Need to Hit Its Target?

In summary, the archer fish squirts water drops at an insect to knock it into the water. The drop must be launched at a different angle if its parabolic path is to intersect the insect. If φ=36.0° and d 0.900 m, an angle of (theta) is required for the drop to be at the top of the parabolic path when it reaches the insect.
Swansong

Homework Statement

Upon spotting an insect on a twig overhanging water, an archer fish squirts water drops at the insect to knock it into the water (Fig. 4 -38). Although the fish sees the insect along a straight-line path at angle f and distance d, a drop must be launched at a different angle θ if its parabolic path is to intersect the insect. If φ= 36.0° and d 0.900 m, what launch angle (theta) is required for the drop to be at the top of the parabolic path when it reaches the insect?
2. Relevant equation
So the two equations i have used so far are, y-yi=vi*sin(θ)-.5gt^2, x-xi=vi*cos(θ).

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I found both xi and yi by using the trigonometric relationships. .9sin(φ)=.53 and .9cos(φ)=.73 for the vertical and horizontal distances. This yields the maximum height and distance from the initial position to the insect. I substituted .53 into the horizontal distance equation which gave me .73/(vi*cos(θ))= t, which i then substituted into the vertical distance equation. This is the part where I am stuck. After simplifying the equation, i am left with two unknown variables, vi and θ. 0= (-3.577*vi^2-.53)+tan(θ)-3.577vi^2*tan^2(θ). Should I solve the quadratic equation for θ and go from there?? p.s Sorry that I didn't use LaTeX, I'm not very comfortable with it, since I've never used it before, but i will try to use it in my following posts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 9.32.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 9.32.44 PM.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
Swansong said:

Homework Statement

Upon spotting an insect on a twig overhanging water, an archer fish squirts water drops at the insect to knock it into the water (Fig. 4 -38). Although the fish sees the insect along a straight-line path at angle f and distance d, a drop must be launched at a different angle θ if its parabolic path is to intersect the insect. If φ= 36.0° and d 0.900 m, what launch angle (theta) is required for the drop to be at the top of the parabolic path when it reaches the insect?
2. Relevant equation
So the two equations i have used so far are, y-yi=vi*sin(θ)-.5gt^2, x-xi=vi*cos(θ).

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I found both xi and yi by using the trigonometric relationships. .9sin(φ)=.53 and .9cos(φ)=.73 for the vertical and horizontal distances. This yields the maximum height and distance from the initial position to the insect. I substituted .53 into the horizontal distance equation which gave me .73/(vi*cos(θ))= t, which i then substituted into the vertical distance equation. This is the part where I am stuck. After simplifying the equation, i am left with two unknown variables, vi and θ. 0= (-3.577*vi^2-.53)+tan(θ)-3.577vi^2*tan^2(θ). Should I solve the quadratic equation for θ and go from there?? p.s Sorry that I didn't use LaTeX, I'm not very comfortable with it, since I've never used it before, but i will try to use it in my following posts.
Try solving for time, then you should be able to solve for vi.

It's good practice to find the final answer in terms of the variables (D and Φ) and wait until the end to plug in the given values.

It may be easier to work with the initial components of velocity (Vx, Vy) instead of the speed/angle (Vi, θ). Quadratic equations can be avoided and the answer can be found as θ=arctan(Vy/Vx)

Nathanael said:
It's good practice to find the final answer in terms of the variables (D and Φ) and wait until the end to plug in the given values.

It may be easier to work with the initial components of velocity (Vx, Vy) instead of the speed/angle (Vi, θ). Quadratic equations can be avoided and the answer can be found as θ=arctan(Vy/Vx)
How would i work with these initial components for this problem? wouldn't i still need to know initial velocity in this case?

Swansong said:
How would i work with these initial components for this problem? wouldn't i still need to know initial velocity in this case?
You know the maximum height the water reaches, right? You can use this to determine the initial vertical velocity Vy.

In the time it takes the water to reach that height, you know how far horizontally it has moved. So then you can determine Vx that way.

yes, I know the maximum height and range of the water. But I do not see how i can get the initial velocities from this. Are you referring to the equations, Xf=Vi*t*cos(θ) and Yf=Vi*t*sin(θ)-.5gt^2? Still kind of confused, sorry

Sorry I did not mean to be confusing, it just seemed like a simpler method.

Vy can be found from conservation of energy; or it can be found from the kinematics equation ##y=V_yT-0.5gT^2## where T is the time it takes to reach the top of it's path, (a.k.a. the time for Vy to decrease to zero, which is the T that satisfies the equation Vy-gT=0).

To find Vx you will use the same time T in the horizontal distance equation.

Nathanael said:
Sorry I did not mean to be confusing, it just seemed like a simpler method.

Vy can be found from conservation of energy; or it can be found from the kinematics equation ##y=V_yT-0.5gT^2## where T is the time it takes to reach the top of it's path, (a.k.a. the time for Vy to decrease to zero, which is the T that satisfies the equation Vy-gT=0).

To find Vx you will use the same time T in the horizontal distance equation.
ohh, alright. Completely makes sense that way. Thank you for your help.

1. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile is calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. These equations can be solved using mathematical methods or by using simulation software.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as wind speed and direction, temperature, and altitude can also have an impact on the trajectory.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the projectile and change its trajectory. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape, size, and velocity of the projectile. It can also be affected by the density and viscosity of the air.

4. Can the trajectory of a projectile be predicted accurately?

The trajectory of a projectile can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy using mathematical equations and simulation software. However, factors such as air resistance and wind can make it difficult to predict the exact path of a projectile.

5. How is the trajectory of a projectile used in real-world applications?

The trajectory of a projectile is used in many real-world applications, such as designing and testing weapons, predicting the path of a thrown object in sports, and calculating the flight path of a rocket or spacecraft. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics.