Projectile Velocity Analysis: Solving for Initial Vertical Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the projection of a soccer ball at a certain angle above the horizon, which travels a horizontal distance of 1.2x102m in 3.0s. The homework then asks for the horizontal velocity, initial vertical velocity (VV1), and the magnitude and direction of the initial velocity (VI). The solution for Part a is found using the equation V=d/t, resulting in a horizontal velocity of 40 m/s [Forward]. Part b is solved using the equation V2=V1+at, where V1 is the initial vertical velocity, resulting in V1=14.7 m/s [up]. Finally, Part c can be solved using the equations VH=VIcosϴ and
kayem

Homework Statement

A Soccer ball is projected at a certain angle (ϴ) above the horizon. It travels a horizontal distance of 1.2x102m in 3.0s.

a) Find the horizontal velocity
b) Find the initial vertical velocity (VV1).
c) Find the magnitude and direction of the initial velocity (VI)

Homework Equations

V = d/t

VH = VIcosϴ
VV1 = VIsinϴ

(Subscript H denotes the horizontal axis and Subscript V denotes the vertical axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do Part a):

dH = v/t
dH = 120 / 30
dH = 40 m/s [Forward]

Part b confuses me. It seems to me like there is some information missing that causes me to not be able to do it but the teacher has told me that all the information that I need is there. I'll be able to get part C if somebody can help me out with b).

This is Grade 12 Physics and I haven't taken Calculus yet.Thanks to anybody who can help me out.The answers on the sheet are:
a) 40 m/s
b) 15 m/s
c) 43 m/s [20o to the horizon]

Homework Statement

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, right after I posted it, the answer hit me so never mind.

V2 = V1 + at
0m/s = V1 + (-9.81m/s2)(1.5s)
V1 = 14.7 m/s [up]Thanks anyways!

Related to Projectile Velocity Analysis: Solving for Initial Vertical Velocity

1. What is projectile vertical velocity?

Projectile vertical velocity refers to the speed at which an object is moving in a vertical direction, either upwards or downwards, while in motion.

2. How is projectile vertical velocity calculated?

Projectile vertical velocity is calculated by taking into account the initial velocity of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time elapsed since the object was launched or thrown.

3. What is the relationship between projectile vertical velocity and height?

Projectile vertical velocity and height are directly related. As the vertical velocity increases, the height of the projectile also increases. Similarly, as the vertical velocity decreases, the height of the projectile decreases.

4. Can projectile vertical velocity be negative?

Yes, projectile vertical velocity can be negative. A negative vertical velocity indicates that the object is moving downwards, towards the ground, while a positive vertical velocity indicates that the object is moving upwards.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile vertical velocity?

Air resistance can decrease the vertical velocity of a projectile, as it acts as a force that opposes the motion of the object. This can cause the projectile to slow down and reach a lower maximum height than it would have without air resistance.