Projection of a Jinc is a Sinc

• Thread starter Wxfsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projection
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the line integral of a jinc function and the sinc function. The exact expression for this relationship is shown and examples are given using MATLAB code. The question is posed as to why the line integral takes the form of a sinc function, and possible approaches to finding the answer are mentioned.
Wxfsa
It basically boils down to:
show that:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dy \frac{J_1 \left ( \pi\sqrt{x^2+y^2} \right )}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} = \frac{2 \sin{\pi x}}{\pi x} $$

My life story (somewhat irrelevant):
A jinc function is besselj(1,pi*r)/( 2r ), a sinc is sin(pi*x) / (pi*x)
I have noticed, while doing numerical work, that if I took the line integral of a jinc (which is a 2D function of r=sqrt(x^2+y^2)), I'll get exactly a sinc

The exact expression was:

8ktIE53.png

please assume that "r" in that expression is just some constant. in fact, 1/10 on the right side should be 1/(2r)

I don't really care about something exact, I just want to see why a line integral through a J1(r)/r has the form sin(y)/y

I tried writing the bessel function in the integral form and then change the order of integration but i don't see a way. I am hoping someone already knows the answer here.

Code:
    p=0.01:0.01:0.5;
    result1=zeros(1,length(p));
    result2=zeros(1,length(p));
    r=3;
    f= @(u,v) besselj(1,pi*2*r*sqrt(u.^2+v^2))./(4*r*sqrt(u.^2+v^2));
    res = @(v) sinc(2*r*v)/2/r;%1/2/r *besselj(1,pi*2*r*v)./(4*r*v);

for i = 1:length(p)
        v=p(i);
        result1(i)=2*integral(@(u)f(u,v),0,1000);
        result2(i)=res(v);
    end
    figure
    hold on
    plot(result1,'b')
    plot(result2,'r')

this is the MATLAB code if anyone is interested, mathematica could not do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a Jinc function?

A Jinc function is a mathematical function used in signal processing and optics that represents the diffraction pattern of a circular aperture. It is often used to describe the behavior of light waves passing through a circular opening or lens.

2. What is a Sinc function?

A Sinc function is a mathematical function that represents the Fourier transform of a rectangular pulse. It is characterized by a main lobe with smaller side lobes on either side. It is commonly used in signal processing and can also be used to describe the behavior of light waves.

3. What is the relationship between Jinc and Sinc functions?

The Jinc function is the projection of the Sinc function onto a two-dimensional plane. In other words, it is a two-dimensional cross-section of the three-dimensional Sinc function. This means that the Jinc function is essentially a simplified version of the Sinc function.

4. What is the importance of projecting a Jinc as a Sinc?

The projection of a Jinc as a Sinc allows us to better understand the behavior of light waves passing through a circular aperture or lens. It also helps in analyzing and manipulating signals in signal processing applications.

5. How is the projection of a Jinc as a Sinc used in real-world applications?

The projection of a Jinc as a Sinc has various applications in optics, signal processing, and wireless communication. It is used in designing optical systems, analyzing diffraction patterns, and filtering signals. It is also used in wireless communication to improve the quality of received signals.