Projective Representations: a simple example

In summary: I run out of space to type).In summary, a projective representation is a type of representation of a group, where the matrices do not necessarily follow the exact structure of the group multiplication table, but rather up to a phase factor. An example of this can be seen with the Klein four-group, where four matrices can be used to form a representation up to a phase. This example does not involve a direct product group and can be applied to other groups as well.
rocdoc
Gold Member
Could anyone help with providing a simple example of a projective representation of a small finite group ( order of group not greater than six )?

My understanding is that, if the group has N elements, then I should see N matrices in the projective representation.

I would prefer the example to not involve a direct prduct group.

I have used nice simple groups, like C2v, in chemistry, this group has four elements.

Physics news on Phys.org
rocdoc said:
Could anyone help with providing a simple example of a projective representation of a small finite group ( order of group not greater than six )?

My understanding is that, if the group has N elements, then I should see N matrices in the projective representation.

I have used nice simple groups, like C2v, in chemistry, this group has four elements.
What do you mean by a projective representation? A (surjective) projection ##G \longrightarrow GL(V)## or a projective resolution of ##G## or ##GL(V)##?

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean by a projective representation? A (surjective) projection ##G \longrightarrow GL(V)## or a projective resolution of ##G## or ##GL(V)##?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projective_representation

Likes bhobba and fresh_42
Hopefully the following helps with your question.

If the group is denoted by G and

$$g_1~ and ~g_2 $$are in G then we have, a projective representation of G if

$$M(g_1)M(g_2)=M(g_1g_2)e^{i\theta(g_1,g_2)}$$

With M meaning matrix.

In chemistry, the projective representations raise their head in the form of so called "double groups". There, the projective factors are avoided by introducing another group element "R". Also the permutation groups S_n have projective representations for S_n when n>=4.

The smallest example which I have found is
$$
\mathbb{Z}_2\, , \,\mathbb{Z}_3\; , \; \mathbb{Z}_2 \rtimes \mathbb{Z}_3 \longrightarrow PSL(2,\mathbb{F}_2)=SL(2,\mathbb{F}_2) = \mathcal{Sym}(3) = D_3 = \mathbb{Z}_2 \rtimes \mathbb{Z}_3
$$
With less finiteness conditions on the group it might be worth mentioning
$$
\mathbb{S}^1 \cong SO(2,\mathbb{R}) \cong U(1,\mathbb{C}) \cong \mathbb{P}(1,\mathbb{R}) \text{ (unit circle) } \\ \text{ and } \\ \mathbb{S}^2 \cong SO(3,\mathbb{R})/SO(2,\mathbb{R}) \cong \mathbb{P}(1,\mathbb{C}) \text{ (Riemann sphere) }
$$
and finite subgroups (reflections, rotations) of the unit circle or the 2-sphere will provide examples.

Likes bhobba and dextercioby
An interesting example (https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=676246) of a projective representation can be found for the Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}= \mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{F})## with ##\mathbb{F}\in \{\mathbb{R},\mathbb{C}\}## but only because I don't remember the characteristic ##2## case and the centers need more care if other fields are involved. However, I assume that finite fields would work as well.

If we define the group ##\Gamma^°(\mathfrak{g})## of all ##\phi^* \otimes \psi^* \otimes \chi \in GL(\mathfrak{g}^*\otimes \mathfrak{g}^* \otimes \mathfrak{g})## such that ##[X,Y]= \chi([\phi(X),\psi(Y)])## for all ##X,Y \in \mathfrak{g}## then
$$
\Gamma^°(\mathfrak{g}) \cong PSL(2,\mathbb{F})
$$
which means the isometries of the Lie multiplication in ##\mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{F})## have such a representation.

Likes bhobba and dextercioby
It looks like the Klein four-group, V4 has a projective representation.

rocdoc said:
It looks like the Klein four-group, V4 has a projective representation.
Yes, but you ruled out this example:
rocdoc said:

The group multiplication table of V4 can be given as

$$\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|}

\hline & e & a & b & c \\

\hline e & e & a & b & c \\

\hline a & a & e & c & b \\

\hline b & b & c & e & a \\

\hline c & c & b & a & e \\

\hline

\end{array} $$
If we have four matrices M(e),M(a),M(b),M(c) representing our group elements e,a,b,c, respectively.Then they form a matrix representation of our group if the "matrix multiplication table" has the same structure as the group multiplication table. I.E if we have

\hline & M\left( e \right) & M\left( a \right) & M\left( b \right) & M\left( c \right) \\

\hline M\left( e \right) & M\left( e \right) & M\left( a \right) & M\left( b \right) & M\left( c \right) \\

\hline M\left( a \right) & M\left( a \right) & M\left( e \right) & M\left( c \right) & M\left( b \right) \\

\hline M\left( b \right) & M\left( b \right) & M\left( c \right) & M\left( e \right) & M\left( a \right) \\

\hline M\left( c \right) & M\left( c \right) & M\left( b \right) & M\left( a \right) & M\left( e \right) \\ \hline \end{array}

$$
Where the matrix in a cell of the table body, is formed by multiplying on the left, the matrix shown at the top of a particular column, by the matrix shown in the leftmost column for a particular row, in the natural obvious way.

If we use the following matrices

$$M(e)=\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1 \end{bmatrix},M(a)=\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 \\1 & 0 \end{bmatrix},M(b)=\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & -1 \end{bmatrix},M(c)=\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

we find a matrix multiplication table as below

\hline & M\left( e \right) & M\left( a \right) & M\left( b \right) & M\left( c \right) \\

\hline M\left( e \right) & M\left( e \right) & M\left( a \right) & M\left( b \right) & M\left( c \right) \\

\hline M\left( a \right) & M\left( a \right) & -M\left( e \right) & M\left( c \right) & - M\left( b \right) \\

\hline M\left( b \right) & M\left( b \right) & - M\left( c \right) & M\left( e \right) & -M\left( a \right) \\

\hline M\left( c \right) & M\left( c \right) & M\left( b \right) & M\left( a \right) & M\left( e \right) \\ \hline \end{array}

$$

This shows that the matrices we are now using form a representation up to a phase, or a projective representation.

Been thinking, just a little, not a lot. There seem to be much simpler examples.

Last edited:

What is a projective representation?

A projective representation is a mathematical concept that describes how an object or system is represented in a higher dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and mathematics to study symmetries and transformations.

What is a simple example of a projective representation?

A simple example of a projective representation is the rotation of a square in 3-dimensional space. The square can be represented as a 2-dimensional object, but its rotation can be described using a 3-dimensional projective representation.

What are the applications of projective representations?

Projective representations have many applications in the fields of physics, mathematics, and computer science. They are used to study symmetries in physical systems, to analyze geometric transformations, and in computer graphics for 3-dimensional modeling and animation.

What is the difference between a projective representation and a linear representation?

The main difference between a projective representation and a linear representation is that a projective representation allows for non-linear transformations, while a linear representation only allows for linear transformations. This means that a projective representation can capture more complex and non-uniform transformations.

How are projective representations related to projective geometry?

Projective representations are closely related to projective geometry, which is a branch of mathematics that studies geometric properties that remain unchanged under projective transformations. Both concepts involve the use of higher dimensional spaces to describe transformations and symmetries.