Proof: 3 Reversible evolutions -- Hermitian Conjugate

In summary: So I would modify what I wrote before as follows:In summary, we can see that no matter what the initial state |v> of the qubit is, after undergoing a sequence of three reversible evolutions with unitary matrices A, B, and C (in that order), the qubit always returns to the same state |v>. This can be represented by the equation C(BA)|v> = |v>, where C and BA are both unitary matrices. Multiplying both sides by (BA)†, we get C(BA)(BA)† = I(BA)†. By the definition of unitary matrices, we can see that C = (BA)†. However, to show that this relationship holds for
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a qubit whihc undergoes a sequence of three reversible evolutions of 3 unitary matrices A, B, and C (in that order). Suppose that no matter what the initial state |v> of the qubit is before the three evolutions, it always comes back to the sam state |v> after the three evolutions.
Show that we must have C=(BA)†

Homework Equations

† = hermitian conjugate

The Attempt at a Solution

The diagram of the reversible evolution allows us to see that the process |v> --> A --> B --> C = |v> results in the equation:

C(BA)|v> = |v>
From here we see that: C(BA) = I (where I is the identity matrix)
We multiple both sides by (BA)†
C(BA)(BA)†=I(BA)†
By definition of unitary we see
C=(BA)†This was quite easy, we see it only took 3-4 steps.

Have I successfully completed this proof? Recall, I needed to show that this works for all possible |v>.
|v> seems irrelevant, however, since it could be 'cancelled' out in the second step.

Success? Or failure?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
C(BA)(BA)†=I(BA)†
By definition of unitary we see
C=(BA)†
I would give more details here, as you can only take that A is unitary and B is unitary, not suppose it for BA.
RJLiberator said:
Have I successfully completed this proof? Recall, I needed to show that this works for all possible |v>.
|v> seems irrelevant, however, since it could be 'cancelled' out in the second step.
Again, to give more details: ##C(BA)|v\rangle = |v\rangle \, \forall \, |v\rangle \Rightarrow C(BA) = I##. You can only go from the first to the second line if you say that this has to hold for all states.

Likes RJLiberator
I would give more details here, as you can only take that A is unitary and B is unitary, not suppose it for BA.

Absolutely excellent point. I glossed over that.

Again, to give more details: C(BA)|v⟩=|v⟩∀|v⟩⇒C(BA)=I. You can only go from the first to the second line if you say that this has to hold for all states.

Indeed, what you suggest seems to bring more clarity.

1. What is the concept of reversible evolutions?

Reversible evolutions refer to physical or chemical processes that can be reversed, meaning that the initial state can be restored by reversing the steps of the process. This concept is important in understanding the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and the flow of energy in systems.

2. What is the significance of Hermitian Conjugate in proofs?

In proofs, Hermitian Conjugate is used to show the symmetry of a mathematical expression or operator. It is denoted by a dagger symbol and is used to represent the complex conjugate transpose of a matrix or vector. This concept is commonly used in quantum mechanics and linear algebra.

3. How does the concept of reversible evolutions relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The concept of reversible evolutions is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases or remains constant over time. In reversible processes, the entropy remains constant, while in irreversible processes, the entropy increases. Therefore, reversible processes are more efficient and closer to the idealized laws of thermodynamics.

4. Can you provide an example of a reversible evolution?

An example of a reversible evolution is the melting and freezing of water. When water is heated, it melts and becomes a liquid, but when it is cooled, it freezes and becomes a solid. This process can be reversed by heating or cooling the water, making it a reversible process. However, if the water is mixed with salt, the process becomes irreversible as the salt changes the properties of the water.

5. What are the implications of reversible evolutions in real-world applications?

The concept of reversible evolutions has many implications in real-world applications, particularly in the fields of energy production and storage. Reversible processes are more efficient and can help reduce energy waste and costs. They are also important in designing and optimizing systems such as engines, turbines, and batteries. Additionally, understanding reversible evolutions can aid in the development of new technologies and materials.