Proof and Justification for Diagonalization-Ordered Basis Theorem

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, Theorem 5.1 states that a linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V is diagonalizable if and only if there exists an ordered basis B for V consisting of eigenvectors of T. This means that T can be represented by a diagonal matrix with respect to that basis B. Furthermore, if T is diagonalizable, B = {v_1, v_2, ..., v_n} is an ordered basis of eigenvectors of T, and D = [T]_B, then D is a diagonal matrix and D_j_j is the eigenvalue corresponding to v_j for 1<= j <= n. The proof for this theorem involves showing that for each eigenvalue of T, there exists
jeff1evesque
I am trying to perpare for my final for linear algebra and am attempting to catch up in readings- in particular about diagonlization.

Theorem 5.1: A linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V is diagonalizable if and only if there exists an ordered basis B for V consisting of eigenvectors of T. Furthermore, if T is diagonalizable, B = {[tex]v_1, v_2, ..., v_n[/tex]} is an ordered basis of eigenvectors of T, and D = [tex][T]_B[/tex], then D is a diagonal matrix and [tex]D_j_j[/tex] is the eigenvalue corresponding to [tex]v_j[/tex] for 1<= j <= n.

Question: For some reason in my textbook, they omitted the proof. I'm guessing it's fairly straightfoward, but I was wondering if someone could aid me with a proof.

Idea for a proof: If T is diagonalizable, then for some [tex]v_j[/tex], [tex]T(v_j)[/tex] = [tex]\lambda_j[/tex][tex]v_j[/tex] (by definition- from last post).
So it follows, for each eigenvalue [tex]\lambda_j[/tex] ( 1 <= j <= n, where n is the number of elements in our particular basis B ), there exists corresponding eigenvectors [tex]v_j[/tex] by definition. Since a basis for a diagonalizable matrix by definition is composed of the eigenvectors, our basis B = { lambda_1, lambda_2, ..., lambda_n } is composed of eigenvectors.

Questions:
1. Can someone tell me if my proof above is correct? I feel as if I'm assuming to much when I said "Since a basis for a diagonalizable matrix by definition is composed of the eigenvectors... "
2. Also can someone justify the remaining portion of the theorem "... Furthermore, if T is diagonalizable... is the eigenvalue corresponding to [tex]v_j[/tex] for 1 <= j <= n."

THanks again,

JL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Since a basis for a diagonalizable matrix by definition is composed of the eigenvectors..."

This isn't "by definition" - in fact, it's one of the things that you are supposed to prove!

How about this:

First suppose that T is diagonalizable. That means that there exists a basis

[tex]B = \{v_1,v_2,\ldots,v_n\}[/tex]

with respect to which the matrix [tex]D = [T]_B[/tex] is diagonal.

Call the entries of the matrix [tex]D_{ij}[/tex], for [tex]i,j=1,2,\ldots,n[/tex]. Then for each j,

[tex]Tv_j = \sum_{i=1}^n D_{ij} v_i[/tex] (this is the definition of what the matrix elements mean)

Because D is diagonal, [tex]D_{ij} = 0[/tex] for [tex]i \neq j[/tex], so this reduces to

[tex]Tv_j = D_{jj} v_j[/tex]

Since each [tex]v_j[/tex] is a member of the basis B, in particular, [tex]v_j \neq 0[/tex], so [tex]D_{jj}[/tex] is an eigenvalue of T and [tex]v_j[/tex] is a corresponding eigenvector.

The converse is proved the same way. (If there exists an ordered basis B for V consisting of eigenvectors of T, then T is diagonalizable.) All you have to do is show that T has a diagonal matrix with respect to that basis B.

Wow, that was very straightfoward. Thanks for the help.

1. What is a diagonalization-ordered basis?

A diagonalization-ordered basis is a set of vectors that are arranged in a specific order to facilitate the diagonalization of a matrix. These vectors are chosen to be eigenvectors of the matrix, which allows for the matrix to be represented as a diagonal matrix.

2. Why is diagonalization-ordered basis important in linear algebra?

Diagonalization-ordered basis is important because it allows for easier computation and analysis of matrices. It simplifies the process of finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which are crucial in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the behavior of linear transformations.

3. How is a diagonalization-ordered basis different from a standard basis?

A standard basis is a set of vectors that are used to represent all possible points in a vector space, while a diagonalization-ordered basis is a specific set of vectors chosen to facilitate the diagonalization of a matrix. These vectors may or may not be part of the standard basis.

4. Can any matrix be diagonalized using a diagonalization-ordered basis?

No, not all matrices can be diagonalized. The matrix must have a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors in order to be diagonalizable. Additionally, the matrix must be a square matrix.

5. How is a diagonalization-ordered basis used in practical applications?

Diagonalization-ordered basis is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze the behavior of linear systems, and in the design and implementation of algorithms for efficient matrix computation.