Proof by contradicion Sequences

In summary, the author is trying to prove that the sequence y_n converges to a. They try to do this by contradiction and can't seem to get anywhere. However, if y_n converges to a and y_n_+_1 is not equal to y_n_+_1, then the sequence y_n converges to 0.
sutupidmath
Well, implicitly in a problem i came accros something that looks like it first requires to establish the following result:(to be more precise, the author uses the following result in the problem)

Let [tex]\{y_n\}[/tex] be a sequence. If

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{y_{n+1}}{y_n}=0,=> \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}y_n=0[/tex]

I tried a proof by contradicion, but i couln't really prove it.

SO, any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok,here it is a thought, I'm not sure whether this would work though.

Suppose that, [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}y_n=a[/tex] where a is different from zero.

Then, we know that [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}y_{n+1}=a[/tex] as well.

So, now we would have:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{y_{n+1}}{y_n}=\frac{\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}y_{n+1}}{lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}y_n}=\frac{a}{a}=1[/tex]

Which is clearly a contradiction.

Will this work?

you still leave the possibility that y(n) doesn't converge at all.

matticus said:
you still leave the possibility that y(n) doesn't converge at all.

Well, that's not a problem. I forgot to mention, that i can show that y_n is a monotonic and bounded sequence, hence it must converge.

right. yes, the proof is valid. (just to clarify the step, lim y(n+1) converges since y(n) converges and hence every subsequence must converge to the same limit)

Just a thought, but if you are allowed to recognize the first limit as a positive result for the ratio convergence test, then the sum of the sequence must converge and hence the terms must approach zero as required.

Gib Z said:
Just a thought, but if you are allowed to recognize the first limit as a positive result for the ratio convergence test, then the sum of the sequence must converge and hence the terms must approach zero as required.
Well, that would work also in the case where y_n would be greater than zero for some n>N, and also in the case of alternating series, since in that case we could use the ratio test for alternating series:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left|\frac{y_{n+1}}{y_n}\right|=0<1[/tex] so the corresponding series

[tex]\sum y_n[/tex] would converge absolutely and thus would be convergent as well, so y_n-->0 as n-->infinity.

(p.s. i was basically aiming for a proof by contradiction in my first post)

Cheers!

It's really rather simple when you think of it.
let's go with definitions:

lim (y_n/y_n-1)=L iff for every e>0 there exists N s.t for every n>N -e<y_n/y_n-1-L<e
L-e<y_n+1/y_n<L+e
we assume that y_n doesn't vanish for each n.
y_n=(y_n/y_n-1)*(y_n-1/y_n-2)*...*(y_2/y_1)*y_1 the ratio sequence converges to L thus it is bounded let M be this bound, assume that n-k=N for some k natural, then y_n-L=(y_n/y_n-1)*(y_n-1/y_n-2)*...*(y_2/y_1)*y_1-L

y_n<=y_1*M^k(y_n/y_n-1)...(y_n-k+1/y_n-k)<y_1*M^k(L+e)^(n-k) as n->infinity y_n->0.

Did I do a mess with this question, or am I on the right track, I had this in my first year at university so I should remember.

loop quantum gravity said:
y_n<=y_1*M^k(y_n/y_n-1)...(y_n-k+1/y_n-k)<y_1*M^k(L+e)^(n-k) as n->infinity y_n->0.

Did I do a mess with this question, or am I on the right track, I had this in my first year at university so I should remember.

Hmm..well, you are saying on this line that y_n is bounded by:

[tex]y_n<y_1*M^k(L+\epsilon)^{n-k}[/tex]

but, if n-->infinity, how can we be sure that

[tex](L+\epsilon)^{n-k}-->0[/tex] since obviously M^k doesn't go to zero.

unless, [tex]|L+\epsilon|<1[/tex] of which is not necessarly true in general.

I am probbably missing something in this whole picture, since i didn't analyze it a lot.

I shoud relook my notes of first year if I haven't thrown them away, I remember asking my TA this question, and it was also in courant and fritz text.
There is some trick in it that I forgot, perhaps someone here remembers the proof that goes via epsilon.

This is how I would tackle the problem.

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{y_n_+_1}{y_n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n_+_1 * \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{y_n} = 0 [/tex], implying that either of these limits converge to 0. If [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n_+_1 = 0 [/tex] then [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n = 0 [/tex] and we're done. So we take a look at the other limit. Suppose that [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{y_n} = 0 [/tex]. Then [tex] 1 = 0*\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n[/tex]. Since [tex]y_n[/tex] converges, say to "a", then we would have 1 = 0*a = 0, an obvious contradiction. Thus [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n_+_1 = 0[/tex] implying that [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n = 0 [/tex].

JG89 said:
This is how I would tackle the problem.

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{y_n_+_1}{y_n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} y_n_+_1 * \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{y_n} = 0 [/tex].

I don't think you can separate the limits this way at first place, since if you are doing so, you are assuming that the limit of y_n as n goes to infinity exists, of which we are not sure, and we have to prove as well. So, i don't think this would work.

sutupidmath said:
I don't think you can separate the limits this way at first place, since if you are doing so, you are assuming that the limit of y_n as n goes to infinity exists, of which we are not sure, and we have to prove as well. So, i don't think this would work.

I was thinking about that when I first thought of it, but then I saw you write this "I forgot to mention, that i can show that y_n is a monotonic and bounded sequence, hence it must converge. "

Related to Proof by contradicion Sequences

1. What is the concept of proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a method used in mathematics and logic to prove a statement by assuming its opposite and showing that it leads to a contradiction. This allows us to conclude that the original statement must be true.

2. How is proof by contradiction different from direct proof?

In direct proof, we start with a set of premises and use logical reasoning to arrive at a conclusion. In proof by contradiction, we assume the opposite of the conclusion and show that it leads to a contradiction, thus proving the original statement.

3. Can proof by contradiction be used for any type of statement?

Yes, proof by contradiction can be used for any type of statement, whether it is a mathematical theorem or a logical proposition. However, it is most commonly used in mathematics to prove theorems.

4. What are the steps involved in a proof by contradiction?

The steps involved in a proof by contradiction are as follows:
1. Assume the opposite of the statement to be proved.
2. Use logical reasoning to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction.
3. Conclude that the original statement must be true.

5. When is proof by contradiction useful?

Proof by contradiction is useful in cases where it is difficult to directly prove a statement. It can also be used to prove statements that are not intuitive or obvious. Additionally, it can help to strengthen the understanding of a concept by showing its opposite leads to a contradiction.