Proof: extremum has a semi definitie Hessian matrix

In summary, Taylor's theorem states that for each ##h \in U## there exists a ##t \in ]0,1[## such that :##f(p+h)-f(p) = h^{T}.D^{2}(p+th).h##where ##D^{2}## is the Hessian or the matrix with the mixed partial derivatives, ##D^{2}(p+th)## means it's not in point p. I already assume it's a minimum so the Jacobian matrix that should be there is 0. However, for each ##p \in U## there exists a ##h \in U## such that :##f(p
Coffee_
Consider a function ##f : U \subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n} -> \mathbb{R}## that is an element of ##C^{2}## which has an minimum in ##p \in U##.

According to Taylor's theorem for multiple variable functions, for each ##h \in U## there exists a ##t \in ]0,1[## such that :

##f(p+h)-f(p) = h^{T}.D^{2}(p+th).h##

Where ##D^{2}## is the Hessian or the matrix with the mixed partial derivatives, ##D^{2}(p+th)## means it's not in point p. I already assume it's a minimum so the Jacobian matrix that should be there is 0.

Now I should take a limit and somehow show that in both cases where p is a strict or not strict minimum that is ##f(p)<f(x)## of ##f(p)\leq f(x)## that in both cases ##D^{2}## will be negative semi definite. Can someone help me finish/understand this final step formally? Because I'm not sure about how a limit will work in the equation above, the left term just goes to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could divide both sides by ## ||h||^2 ##.

wabbit said:
You could divide both sides by ## ||h||^2 ##.

Not sure what that would give me. Left I'd get a similar expression to the derivative but since it's in multiple variables I'm not sure. It would be equal to the limit of ##\frac{D*h}{||h||}## I guess?

Well you can then have ##h\rightarrow 0## but ##h/||h||## remains finite, and you could set this to be any vector ##u=h/||h||## of your choice and see what this tells you about D when h approaches 0 but u is fixed.

Or if you prefer that formulation, set ##h=\theta u## and take the limit as ##\theta\rightarrow 0##

I don't know what your "*" is but if it is just usual matrix-vector multiplication, no this isn't what you get.

wabbit said:
Well you can then have ##h\rightarrow 0## but ##h/||h||## remains finite, and you could set this to be any vector ##u=h/||h||## of your choice and see what this tells you about D when h approaches 0 but u is fixed.

Or if you prefer that formulation, set ##h=\theta u## and take the limit as ##\theta\rightarrow 0##

I don't know what your "*" is but if it is just usual matrix-vector multiplication, no this isn't what you get.

I reasoned that that's what's it supposed to be according to ##lim \frac{f(p+h)-f(p)-D*h}{||h||}=0## where ##D## is the derivative matrix.

But as you stated in your op, the first derivative is 0 and D is the Hessian, so suddenly using D as the jacobian instead is truly bizarre reasonning.

Oh sorry I see you were using ##D^2## to denote the hessian - please read my previous statement as referring to that.

wabbit said:
But as you stated in your op, the first derivative is 0 and D is the Hessian, so suddenly using D as the jacobian instead is truly bizarre reasonning.

Oh right, should have thought a bit longer before replying.

1. What is a semi-definite Hessian matrix?

A Hessian matrix is a square matrix of second-order partial derivatives of a multivariable function. A semi-definite Hessian matrix is one in which all of the eigenvalues (or characteristic roots) are either positive or zero. This indicates that the function has a minimum or a saddle point, but not a maximum.

2. How is a semi-definite Hessian matrix related to extremum?

A semi-definite Hessian matrix is indicative of the nature of the critical points of a function. In particular, if the Hessian matrix is semi-definite, it means that the critical point is either a minimum or a saddle point, but not a maximum. This is because a positive or zero eigenvalue corresponds to a minimum or a saddle point, respectively.

3. What does it mean for a function to have a semi-definite Hessian matrix?

If a function has a semi-definite Hessian matrix, it means that the function has a minimum or a saddle point at the critical point. This means that the first derivative of the function at the critical point is equal to zero, but the second derivative is either positive or zero (for a minimum) or non-zero (for a saddle point).

4. How is the semi-definite Hessian matrix used to prove extremum?

To prove that a function has a minimum or a saddle point at a specific critical point, we can use the semi-definite Hessian matrix. If the Hessian matrix is semi-definite, then we know that the critical point is either a minimum or a saddle point. By checking the first and second derivatives of the function at the critical point, we can determine which type of extremum it is.

5. Can a function have a semi-definite Hessian matrix and not have an extremum?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a semi-definite Hessian matrix but not have an extremum. This would occur if the Hessian matrix is positive semi-definite (all eigenvalues are positive) but the critical point is not a minimum. In this case, the function would have a minimum value but no maximum value, and the critical point would be a saddle point.