Proof: Infinitely Many Rational Square Roots of Natural Numbers

• Thread starter kaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Try going like this...There are two possibilities:1.There are infinitely many natural numbers n where the square root of n is rational.2.There are finite natural number whose roots are rational.If things were go as 1. then the proof is complete. If things were to go as 2. then we have to prove it wrong..If second condition is satisfied then we will come up with a maximum number nmax (say) whose root is rational. Prove that there exist another number greater than nmax whose root is rational.So the 2. possibility is ruled out, hence we are left with only one possibility which is 1.Regards
kaos
Is this a valid proof? Also is this way of doing it valid?

Statement : There are infinitely many natural numbers n where the square root of n is rational.

Proof:
sqrt of n = x (where x is natural)
n= x squared

And n can be any natural number(x) squared ,and there are infinitely many natural numbers (x)
therefore there are infinitely many n which has a natural square root. Since natural numbers are rational , there are infinitely many natural numbers n where the square root of n is rational.

Physics news on Phys.org
kaos said:
Is this a valid proof? Also is this way of doing it valid?

Statement : There are infinitely many natural numbers n where the square root of n is rational.

Proof:
sqrt of n = x (where x is natural)
n= x squared

And n can be any natural number(x) squared ,and there are infinitely many natural numbers (x)
therefore there are infinitely many n which has a natural square root. Since natural numbers are rational , there are infinitely many natural numbers n where the square root of n is rational.

Your argument seems fine. There is one small point, though, that you should consider: how do you know that different integers x yield different integers x^2? (You need to argue that in order to know that squaring does not cause everything to collapse into a small, finite set of values.)

Try going like this...
There are two possibilities:
1.There are infinitely many natural numbers n where the square root of n is rational.
2.There are finite natural number whose roots are rational.
If things were go as 1. then the proof is complete. If things were to go as 2. then we have to prove it wrong..
If second condition is satisfied then we will come up with a maximum number nmax (say) whose root is rational. Prove that there exist another number greater than nmax whose root is rational.
So the 2. possibility is ruled out, hence we are left with only one possibility which is 1.
Regards

Ray Vickson said:
Your argument seems fine. There is one small point, though, that you should consider: how do you know that different integers x yield different integers x^2? (You need to argue that in order to know that squaring does not cause everything to collapse into a small, finite set of values.)

Thanks for responding.

Isn't the square of an integer always different?(except 1 or 0 i guess)?

And I don't understand the "(You need to argue that in order to know that squaring does not cause everything to collapse into a small, finite set of values.)" part (specifically what are you referring to that is collapsing?).

Abhilash H N said:
Try going like this...
There are two possibilities:
1.There are infinitely many natural numbers n where the square root of n is rational.
2.There are finite natural number whose roots are rational.
If things were go as 1. then the proof is complete. If things were to go as 2. then we have to prove it wrong..
If second condition is satisfied then we will come up with a maximum number nmax (say) whose root is rational. Prove that there exist another number greater than nmax whose root is rational.
So the 2. possibility is ruled out, hence we are left with only one possibility which is 1.
Regards

Yes i know of proof by contradiction, but i used a more straightforward method. Though I am not entirely sure my proof works.

kaos said:
Yes i know of proof by contradiction, but i used a more straightforward method. Though I am not entirely sure my proof works.

It's perfectly valid. The set of all n^2 for n any natural number i.e. {1^2,2^2,3^2,...} has an infinite number (since there are no duplicates, that's what Ray was saying about 'collapsing') of elements all of which are all natural numbers. Their square roots are all natural numbers, i.e. {1,2,3...} hence rational. That's what you are saying, right? In fact, those are the ONLY natural numbers that have rational square roots, but you don't need to show that.

kaos said:
Thanks for responding.

Isn't the square of an integer always different?(except 1 or 0 i guess)?
No, that is not true. (2)^2= (-2)^2. However, YOU are working with natural numbers, not integers (do you understand the difference?) so it is true. But the point is that, unless you are "given" that, you need to prove it. Suppose m and n are different natural numbers. Then [itex]n- m\ne 0[/itex] because they are different. Further [itex]m+n\ne 0[/itex] (why?). Therefore [itex]m^2- n^2= (m- n)(m+ n)[/itex] is not 0 so [itex]m^2[/itex] is not equal to [itex]n^2[/itex].

And I don't understand the "(You need to argue that in order to know that squaring does not cause everything to collapse into a small, finite set of values.)" part (specifically what are you referring to that is collapsing?).
For example, when squaring, the set {-3, -2, 2, 3} "collapses" to the smaller set {4, 9}. The proof above shows that cannot happen for the natural numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
No, that is not true. (2)^2= (-2)^2. However, YOU are working with natural numbers, not integers (do you understand the difference?) so it is true. But the point is that, unless you are "given" that, you need to prove it. Suppose m and n are different natural numbers. Then [itex]n- m\ne 0[/itex] because they are different. Further [itex]m+n\ne 0[/tex] (why?). Therefore [itex]m^2- n^2= (m- n)(m+ n)[/tex] is not 0 so [itex]m^2[/itex] is not equal to [itex]n^2[/itex].

For example, when squaring, the set {-3, -2, 2, 3} "collapses" to the smaller set {4, 9}. The proof above shows that cannot happen for the natural numbers.

Ah right i confused naturals(whole numbers larger than zero) with integers (integers include less than zero whole number right). Thanks for the explanation.

1. What is a valid proof?

A valid proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a statement or the validity of a conclusion. It follows a set of established rules of reasoning and uses evidence and logical steps to support its claims.

2. How do you determine if a proof is valid?

To determine if a proof is valid, it must follow the rules of logic and reasoning, such as the laws of deduction and induction. It should also provide evidence and logical steps that support its claims and lead to the conclusion.

3. Can a proof be valid but still be incorrect?

Yes, a proof can be logically valid but still be incorrect if it is based on false assumptions or uses flawed reasoning. A valid proof does not necessarily guarantee the truth of its conclusion, but it does demonstrate that the conclusion follows from the premises.

4. What are common mistakes that make a proof invalid?

Common mistakes that can make a proof invalid include using circular reasoning, making incorrect assumptions, and making logical fallacies. It is important to carefully examine the premises and reasoning used in a proof to ensure its validity.

5. How can I improve the validity of my proof?

To improve the validity of a proof, it is important to clearly state the premises and assumptions, use logical and coherent reasoning, and provide evidence and examples to support each step. It can also be helpful to have someone else review the proof and point out any potential flaws or errors.