Proof: Let A & B be Matrices; Show BA has a Row of Zeros

In summary, if a row of an m x n matrix A is all zeros, then the jth column of the product BA, where B is an n x p matrix, will also be a row of zeros. This can be proven by using the definition of matrix multiplication and the fact that the entries in the jth column of A are all zero. However, it is important to note that this only applies to the specified row and may not be true for other columns of A.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

28. Let A be an m x n matrix with a row consisting entirely of zeros. Show that if B is an n x p matrix, then BA has a row of zeros.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]A = (aij)_{mxn}[/itex] and [itex]B = (bij)_{nxp}[/itex]. Assuming that the entries for jth column of A are all zeros, I infer that the jth column of BA is also a row of zeros. Let [itex]cij[/itex] be an entry in jth column. By the definition of multiplication:
[tex] cij = b_{i1}a_{j1} + b_{i2}a_{j2} + ...+ b_{in}a_{nj} = \sum_{k=1}^n b_{ik}a_{kj}[/tex]

Since the jth column of A is zero, then there is:
[itex]a_{1j} = a_{2j} = ... = a_{nj} = 0[/itex]. Hence, [itex]cij = 0[/itex] and, therefore, the jth column of BA is a column of zeros.

Did I do this proof correctly? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Retribution said:

Homework Statement

28. Let A be an m x n matrix with a row consisting entirely of zeros. Show that if B is an n x p matrix, then BA has a row of zeros.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]A = (aij)_{mxn}[/itex] and [itex]B = (bij)_{nxp}[/itex]. Assuming that the entries for jth column of A are all zeros,
You're given that one row of A consists of zeros. You can't also assume that one column (column j) is all zeros.
Retribution said:
I infer that the jth column of BA is also a row of zeros. Let [itex]cij[/itex] be an entry in jth column. By the definition of multiplication:
[tex] cij = b_{i1}a_{j1} + b_{i2}a_{j2} + ...+ b_{in}a_{nj} = \sum_{k=1}^n b_{ik}a_{kj}[/tex]

Since the jth column of A is zero, then there is:
[itex]a_{1j} = a_{2j} = ... = a_{nj} = 0[/itex]. Hence, [itex]cij = 0[/itex] and, therefore, the jth column of BA is a column of zeros.

Did I do this proof correctly? Thanks in advance.

Related to Proof: Let A & B be Matrices; Show BA has a Row of Zeros

What does it mean for a matrix to have a row of zeros?

Having a row of zeros in a matrix means that all the elements in that particular row are equal to zero. This means that the row contains no information or data and is essentially a blank or empty row.

Why is it important to show that BA has a row of zeros?

It is important to show that BA has a row of zeros because it can provide useful information about the properties of the matrices A and B. It can also help in solving certain problems and can be used as a tool in matrix manipulation and operations.

What is the significance of having a row of zeros in the product of two matrices?

A row of zeros in the product of two matrices can indicate that the two matrices do not have a certain mathematical property, such as being invertible or having a determinant of zero. It can also affect the rank and dimension of the resulting matrix.

How can you prove that BA has a row of zeros?

To prove that BA has a row of zeros, you can use the properties of matrix multiplication and the fact that multiplying any element by zero results in zero. You can also use algebraic manipulations and properties of matrices to show that a row of zeros will always be present in the product.

Can a matrix have more than one row of zeros in its product?

Yes, a matrix can have more than one row of zeros in its product if both matrices involved have more than one row of zeros or if the dimensions of the matrices allow for multiple rows of zeros to be present in the product.