Proof: Max number of Linearly Independent Vectors

In summary, the maximum number of linearly independent vectors in Rn is n, as shown by the fact that a n x m matrix (for m vectors) cannot have a rank larger than n. This is because the number of independent vectors is equal to the rank of the matrix they create, and a matrix of dimension n can only have a maximum of n pivots. This can be proven by assuming that there are n+1 linearly independent vectors and showing that this leads to a contradiction.
#-Riley-#

Homework Statement

Prove that a set of linearly independent vectors in Rn can have maximum n elements.

So how would you prove that the maximum number of independent vectors in Rn is n?I can understand why in my head but not sure how to give a mathematical proof. I understand it in terms of the number of independent vectors being equal to the rank of the matrix they create and obviously a matrix of dimension n can only have max n pivots. But I don't think that's really sufficient for a proof.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
#-Riley-# said:
But I don't think that's really sufficient for a proof.
If you write it down properly, that should be fine.
The main point: a n x m matrix (for your m vectors) cannot have rank larger than n.

#-Riley-# said:

Homework Statement

Prove that a set of linearly independent vectors in Rn can have maximum n elements.

So how would you prove that the maximum number of independent vectors in Rn is n?I can understand why in my head but not sure how to give a mathematical proof. I understand it in terms of the number of independent vectors being equal to the rank of the matrix they create and obviously a matrix of dimension n can only have max n pivots. But I don't think that's really sufficient for a proof.

Yes, it is (with a bit of tweaking). If vectors ##v_1, v_2, \ldots, v_n, v_{n+1} \in R^n## are linearly independent, we should not be able to find ##(c_1, c_2, \ldots, c_{n+1}) \neq(0,0, \ldots, 0)## giving ##c_1 v_2 + c_2 v_2 + \cdots + c_n v_n + c_{n+1} v_{n+1} = \vec{0}##. Assuming, instead, that you CAN find such ##c_i##, you should be able to get a contradiction.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the definition of linear independence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be represented as a linear combination of other vectors in the same space.

What is the maximum number of linearly independent vectors?

The maximum number of linearly independent vectors in a given vector space is equal to the dimension of the space.

How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

A set of vectors is considered linearly independent if the only way to represent one vector as a linear combination of the others is by multiplying it by a scalar. In other words, the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0, where c1, c2, ..., cn are scalars and v1, v2, ..., vn are vectors, is when all the scalars are equal to 0.

Can a set of vectors be linearly independent in one vector space but not in another?

Yes, a set of vectors can be linearly independent in one vector space but not in another. This is because the dimension of a vector space depends on its basis, and different vector spaces can have different bases.

Why is linear independence important in mathematics and science?

Linear independence is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to represent complex systems and equations in a simpler and more organized way. It also helps us to understand the relationships between different variables and to solve various problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.