Proof of Apostol's Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3: Help Appreciated

In summary, Apostol notes that it may be difficult to formally and rigorously prove that the inequality $\mid \ \parallel x \parallel - \parallel y \parallel \ \mid \ \leq \ \parallel x - y \parallel ...
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Tom M Apostol's book "Mathematical Analysis" (Second Edition) ...I am focuses on Chapter 3: Elements of Point Set Topology ... I need help regarding a remark of Apostol's made after Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 ...Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 read as follows:
View attachment 8477
View attachment 8478
In a note at the end of the proof of parts of Theorem 3.3 we read the following:

"... ... We also have

\(\displaystyle \mid \ \parallel x \parallel - \parallel y \parallel \ \mid \ \leq \ \parallel x - y \parallel\) ... Could someone please show me how top formally and rigorously prove that ...\(\displaystyle \mid \ \parallel x \parallel - \parallel y \parallel \ \mid \ \leq \ \parallel x - y \parallel\) ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Apostol - 1 - Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 ... PART 1 ....png
    Apostol - 1 - Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 ... PART 1 ....png
    18.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Apostol - 2 - Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 ... PART 2 .....png
    Apostol - 2 - Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 ... PART 2 .....png
    5.8 KB · Views: 78
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Peter said:
Could someone please show me how top formally and rigorously prove that ...
\(\displaystyle \mid \ \parallel x \parallel - \parallel y \parallel \ \mid \ \leq \ \parallel x - y \parallel\) ...

Here are a few hints:
  1. Write $\|x\| = \|x-y +y\|.$
  2. Use the triangle inequality.
  3. Obtain a lower bound for $\|x-y\|$.
  4. Repeat the above with $\|y\|,$ obtaining a lower bound for $\|y-x\| = \|x-y\|.$
  5. Note that the two lower bounds differ by a negative sign only.
  6. Conclude that ${\large |}\|x\| - \|y\|{\large|}\leq \|x-y\|$ since $${\large |}\|x\|-\|y\|{\large |}=\begin{cases}\|x\|-\|y\| & \|x\|\geq \|y\|\\ \|y\| - \|x\| & \|y\|\geq \|x\|. \end{cases}$$
Let me know if anything is still unclear.

You are right to ask this question. It is called the "reverse triangle inequality". You can try to prove it yourself by using the ordinary triangle inequality to estimate both $\|x\| = \|(x - y) + y\|$ and $\|y\| = \|(y - x) + x\|$.

EDIT: Sorry, I did not see the reply by GJA and the system did not warn me when I submitted mine.

GJA said:
Hi Peter,
Here are a few hints:
  1. Write $\|x\| = \|x-y +y\|.$
  2. Use the triangle inequality.
  3. Obtain a lower bound for $\|x-y\|$.
  4. Repeat the above with $\|y\|,$ obtaining a lower bound for $\|y-x\| = \|x-y\|.$
  5. Note that the two lower bounds differ by a negative sign only.
  6. Conclude that ${\large |}\|x\| - \|y\|{\large|}\leq \|x-y\|$ since $${\large |}\|x\|-\|y\|{\large |}=\begin{cases}\|x\|-\|y\| & \|x\|\geq \|y\|\\ \|y\| - \|x\| & \|y\|\geq \|x\|. \end{cases}$$
Let me know if anything is still unclear.
Thanks GJA ...

Working through your post ...

Appreciate your help...

Peter

Janssens said:
You are right to ask this question. It is called the "reverse triangle inequality". You can try to prove it yourself by using the ordinary triangle inequality to estimate both $\|x\| = \|(x - y) + y\|$ and $\|y\| = \|(y - x) + x\|$.

EDIT: Sorry, I did not see the reply by GJA and the system did not warn me when I submitted mine.
Thanks for the guidance and help, Janssens

Peter

What is Apostol's Definition 3.2?

Apostol's Definition 3.2 is a mathematical definition that states that a function f is continuous at a point c if and only if the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is equal to f(c).

What is Theorem 3.3?

Theorem 3.3 is a mathematical statement that follows from Apostol's Definition 3.2. It states that if a function f is continuous at a point c, then for any sequence of points {x_n} that approaches c, the corresponding sequence of function values {f(x_n)} will also approach f(c).

What is the importance of Apostol's Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3?

These definitions are important in understanding the concept of continuity in mathematics. They provide a precise definition of what it means for a function to be continuous at a point and how continuity relates to the behavior of a function near that point.

What is the proof of Apostol's Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3?

The proof involves using the definitions of continuity and limits, along with basic algebraic properties and the squeeze theorem, to show that if a function is continuous at a point c, then the limit of the function at that point is equal to the function value at that point. The proof for Theorem 3.3 follows a similar approach and is based on the fact that a sequence that converges to a point c will also converge to any function value at that point.

How can I use Apostol's Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 in my own research?

These definitions and theorem are fundamental concepts in real analysis and are used extensively in various areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis. They can be applied to study the behavior of functions and their limits, as well as to prove theorems and solve problems related to continuity and convergence. If your research involves mathematical analysis or related fields, Apostol's Definition 3.2 and Theorem 3.3 can be valuable tools in your work.