Proof of Connectedness of A and B in Topological Space X

In summary, the author is trying to prove that a set is disconnected if it is expressible as a union of disjoint open sets. However, he misses an assumption that the sets in the union are non-empty.
madness

Homework Statement

Let A, B be closed non-empty subsets of a topological space X with [tex] A \cup B [/tex] and [tex] A \cap B [/tex] connected.

Prove that A and B are connected.

Homework Equations

A set Q is not connected (disconnected) if it is expressible as a disjoint union of open sets, [tex] Q = S \cup T [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying a proof by contradiction.
By the above definition, a set which is not connected must be open (is this really true?). So start by assuming A is disconnected, ie [tex] A = C \cup D [/tex] for C, D open and disjoint. Then A must be open, but should also be closed. Now consider [tex] A \cup B = C \cup D \cup B [/tex] and [tex] A \cap B = C \cup D \cap B [/tex]. I want to to arrive at a contradiction. The given properties are that A is both open and closed, B is closed, C and D are open and disjoint and [tex] A \cup B = C \cup D \cup B [/tex] and [tex] A \cap B = C \cup D \cap B [/tex] are connected. This all seems very complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
By the above definition, a set which is not connected must be open (is this really true?).

No, thankfully this isn't true. The set [tex][0,1] \cup [2,3][/tex] is disconnected and closed. The definition of connectedness requires S and T to be relatively open; that is, open in the subspace topology induced on Q. Keeping this in mind, an equivalent definition of disconnectedness of a subspace Q is that there exist disjoint open sets S and T such that [tex]Q \subset S \cup T[/tex] and [tex]Q \cap S \neq \emptyset \neq Q \cap T[/tex]. The subset relation shere removes your concern about disconnected sets being open.

Last edited:
Ah right instead of saying "a set is not connected if..." i should have said "a topological space is not connected if...". Hmm does this mean the rest of my reasoning was wrong? I have to replace my C's and D's with intersections over X.

Ok so thanks to the push in the right direction I seem to have solved it. However I didnt use the fact that A and B or closed or that [tex] A \cup B [/tex] is connected. It was done entirely on the fact that [tex] A \cap B [/tex] is connected. Could this be right?

Last edited:
No, that's certainly not true. A counterexample is given by [tex]A = (1,2) \cup (2,3)[/tex] and [tex]B = [2,3)[/tex]. Here [tex]A \cup B = (1, 3)[/tex] and [tex]A \cap B = (2, 3)[/tex] are connected, but A is not connected. Also, you should try to think of a very simple example that shows that neither A nor B must be connected even it [tex]A \cap B[/tex] is.

Last edited:
Yeah it took me a while to realize what I missed. I showed that if A is disconnected then [tex] A \cap B [/tex] is expressible as a union of disjoint open sets, but I need to show that they are non-empty sets.

Yup. Generally homework-style questions don't give you more assumptions than you need, so if you haven't used some/most of your assumptions, you should examine your proof. This heuristic will take you far in math.

Related to Proof of Connectedness of A and B in Topological Space X

1. What is a topology connectedness proof?

A topology connectedness proof is a mathematical method used to show that a topological space is connected, meaning that it cannot be divided into two disjoint open sets.

2. How is a topology connectedness proof different from other mathematical proofs?

A topology connectedness proof relies on the properties of open sets and the notion of connectedness, rather than algebraic or numerical calculations. It also considers the topological structure of a space, rather than just its individual points.

3. What are the key components of a topology connectedness proof?

The key components of a topology connectedness proof are defining the topological space, showing that it is connected, and using topological properties such as continuity and compactness to prove the connectedness.

4. What are some common strategies used in topology connectedness proofs?

Some common strategies used in topology connectedness proofs include proving by contradiction, using the properties of connectedness to show that the space cannot be disconnected, and using theorems such as the Intermediate Value Theorem or the Brouwer Fixed Point Theorem.

5. How important is topology connectedness in mathematics and science?

Topology connectedness is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science, as it allows for the analysis of the connectivity and continuity of objects and spaces. It has applications in fields such as analysis, geometry, physics, and computer science.