Proof of Metric Space Triangle Inequality

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a proof of a metric and the main focus is on proving the triangle inequality. The conversation involves using variables such as p, q, and r and simplifying an inequality to show that p <= q + r is true. The method suggested by one person involves showing that \frac{u}{1+u} \leq \frac{v}{1+v} whenever 0 \leq u \leq v.
mynameisfunk
ok i am stumped on a proof i am trying to construct of a metric:
d(x,y)=[tex]\frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|}[/tex]

so, out of the 3 requirements to be a metric, the first 2 are trivial and I am just working on proving the triangle inequality...

i need [tex]\frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{|x-z|}{1+|x-z|}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{|z-y|}{1+|z-y|}[/tex]

p2(1+q+r+qr) [tex]\leq[/tex] q2(1+p+r+pr)+r2(1+p+q+pq)

can i now go to:
p(1+q+r+qr) [tex]\leq[/tex] q(1+p+r+pr)+r(1+p+q+pq) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you simplify the inequality you get:

p<=q+r+(some other positive expressions)

This is true, because p<=q+r by the properties of the absolute value.

hint: first show that
[tex] \frac{u}{1+u} \leq \frac{v}{1+v} [/tex]
whenever
[tex] 0 \leq u \leq v [/tex].

The method you're suggesting is clever, but the OP almost had a correct solution. He seems to have written down an unjustified inequality and then questioned the correct inequality (where the solution then immediate falls out by multiplying everything out and canceling).

i don't know If i posted enough info but, I had set |x-y|= p , |x-z| = q , |z-r| = r , and since the triangle equality holds, proving p <= q + r will suffice

Defining your variables would have probably gotten you more responses, but it was pretty easy to figure out what p,q,r was. The only confusing part was that the last inequality you wrote in the original post is not a consequence of the inequality before it. The last inequality is what you should get upon clearing denominators. Then multiply out and you should get what csopi wrote. It's also clear that the steps are reversible.

Related to Proof of Metric Space Triangle Inequality

What is the metric space triangle inequality?

The metric space triangle inequality is a fundamental property of metric spaces, which are mathematical structures that measure distance. It states that the distance between any two points in a metric space is always less than or equal to the sum of the distances between those points and a third point. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Why is the metric space triangle inequality important?

The metric space triangle inequality is important because it ensures that distance measurements in metric spaces are consistent and follow logical rules. This property also allows for the development of other useful properties and theorems in metric spaces, which are used in various fields of mathematics and science.

How can the metric space triangle inequality be proved?

The metric space triangle inequality can be proved using the axioms and definitions of metric spaces, along with the concept of a path or geodesic. By assuming the triangle inequality is not true and constructing a counterexample, it can be shown that such a situation is not possible in a metric space, thus proving the inequality.

Are there any exceptions to the metric space triangle inequality?

No, there are no exceptions to the metric space triangle inequality. This property holds true for all metric spaces, regardless of their specific properties or dimensions. It is a fundamental and universal rule that applies to all distance measurements in metric spaces.

What are some real-world applications of the metric space triangle inequality?

The metric space triangle inequality has many practical applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering. For example, it is used in the development of algorithms for route planning, in the analysis of network structures, and in the study of physical laws and phenomena. It also has applications in everyday life, such as in navigation systems and GPS technology.