Proof regarding congruence relation

In summary, the statement "a-b \in \Lambda" can be proven by showing that a and b are in the fundamental domain of the lattice and that a-b is relative close to b + kLambda.
Peter_Newman
Let ##\Lambda## be a lattice and ##a, b \in \mathbb{R}^n##, then

$$a \equiv b \text{ mod } \Lambda \Leftrightarrow a- b \in \Lambda$$

I want to prove the statement.

For the left to right direction I would say, ##a \equiv b \text{ mod } \Lambda \Leftarrow a = b +k\Lambda##, where ##k \in \mathbb{Z}^n## and therefore ##a - b = k\Lambda##, but how does one follow from this, that ##a - b \in \Lambda##?

For the other direction ##a - b \in \Lambda##, say ##u \in \Lambda##, then ##a - b = u## that is ##a = b + u## and this is relative close to the other expression above, but how can we introduce the mod operation here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter_Newman said:
Let ##\Lambda## be a lattice and ##a, b \in \mathbb{R}^n##, then

$$a \equiv b \text{ mod } \Lambda \Leftrightarrow a- b \in \Lambda$$

I want to prove the statement.

For the left to right direction I would say, ##a \equiv b \text{ mod } \Lambda \Leftarrow a = b +k\Lambda##, where ##k \in \mathbb{Z}^n## and therefore ##a - b = k\Lambda##, but how does one follow from this, that ##a - b \in \Lambda##?

For the other direction ##a - b \in \Lambda##, say ##u \in \Lambda##, then ##a - b = u## that is ##a = b + u## and this is relative close to the other expression above, but how can we introduce the mod operation here?
This is a definition to me and cannot be proven. But if it can be proven, then what does ##a\equiv b\pmod{\Lambda}## mean?

Likes mathwonk
Oh yes, that is indeed a definition. Therefore, I take back the "proof".

But how does one come to define it that way?

Let's take a lattice e.g. ##\mathbb{Z}^2##. And ##a = (1,1)## and ##b = (0,1)##, then ##a - b = (1,0)## would be ##\in \Lambda##. That is the case but why are these vectors also congruent and vice versa? What does it mean to use modulo in the congruence anyway?

Peter_Newman said:
But how does one come to define it that way?

The answer lies in the concept of the fundamental domain, the first basic area, uni matrix one. In your example, it is ##\left\{\mathrm{x}\in \mathbb{R}^2\,|\,0\leq x_1<1\text{ and }0\leq x_2 <1\right\}## and in general ##\mathcal{F}_{\Lambda} =\left\{\left.\textstyle \sum \limits _{i=1}^{m}r_{i}b_{i} \, \right|\,0\leq r_{i}<1\right\}.## It is the cell that you can copy to get the entire lattice. And this copying process is the answer.

Any arbitrary point in ##p\in\mathbb{R}^2## lies in one specific cell. If we undo the copy process, i.e. translate the point, say ##x## times in the vertical direction (up or down) and ##y## times in the horizontal direction (left or right) until we end up at a point ##q\in \mathcal{F}_\Lambda ## in the fundamental domain, then we have represented ##p## by ##q## together with the translations ##(x,y).## In fact we have
$$
p=q+\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix} \;\Longleftrightarrow \; p-q=\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix} \in \Lambda \;\Longleftrightarrow \; p\equiv q \pmod{\Lambda}
$$
This works in any dimension with accordingly more directions, i.e. coordinates. It says literally: every point ##p\in \mathbb{R}^n## can be represented by a point ##q\in \mathcal{F}_\Lambda## of the fundamental domain of the lattice modulo some movements along the lattice points (the undo of the copy process). It is also the reason why this domain, region, or cell is called fundamental.

Likes Peter_Newman
Hello @fresh_42 , I really like your answer! As you explain it with the fundamental region, the definition also makes absolutely sense! Thank you!

Likes fresh_42

1. What is a congruence relation?

A congruence relation is a mathematical concept that defines the relationship between two objects or shapes that are identical in size and shape. In other words, if two objects have the same shape and size, they are said to be congruent.

2. How is congruence relation proven?

Congruence relation can be proven using several methods, such as using congruence postulates, corresponding parts of congruent triangles, and transformations. The most common method is using congruence postulates, which states that if all corresponding sides and angles of two triangles are equal, then the triangles are congruent.

3. What are the properties of congruence relation?

The properties of congruence relation include reflexive property, symmetric property, and transitive property. Reflexive property states that any object is congruent to itself. Symmetric property states that if two objects are congruent, then their corresponding parts are also congruent. Transitive property states that if two objects are congruent and one of them is also congruent to a third object, then the third object is also congruent to the first two objects.

4. How is congruence relation used in real life?

Congruence relation is used in real life in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. In architecture, congruence relation is used to ensure that buildings and structures are built accurately and to scale. In engineering, congruence relation is used to design and create precise and symmetrical structures. In manufacturing, congruence relation is used to ensure that products are produced with consistent and accurate measurements.

5. What is the difference between congruence and similarity?

While both concepts involve comparing the size and shape of objects, congruence refers to objects that are exactly the same in size and shape, while similarity refers to objects that are proportional in size and shape. In other words, congruent objects are identical, while similar objects are similar but not exactly the same.