Change in Hamiltonian under Non-Canonical transformation

In summary, the given transformation is not canonical and the new Hamiltonian can be found by going through the Lagrangian and using the inverse transformations. There is no simpler way to solve the problem and the method used is correct.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Check whether the following transformation ##[(q,p)]\rightarrow (Q,P)]## is canonical for not.

$$Q=\frac{1}{q}, P=pq^2$$

If the Hamiltonian of the system is given by

$$H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac12kq^2$$

(where m is the mass of the particle, k is a constant), determine the form of the Hamiltonian in the transformed coordinates (Q,P).
Relevant Equations
I know that if the transformation was canonical, the form of Hamilton's equation would remain invariant. If the generating function for the transformation was time independent, then the Hamiltonian would be invariant and we could directly replace q and p with the transformation equations to get the new Hamiltonian.

But here, I found that the transformation is not canonical. I was not sure how to get the new Hamiltonian. I knew that the Lagrangian must be invariant, so I tried to find the new Hamiltonian by going through the Lagrangian.

I do not know if what I did is correct and if there is another simpler way to solve the problem.

My attempt is shared below

The given transformation equations are:

If the transformation is canonical, the Poisson bracket must be invariant and should be equal to 1.
The Poisson bracket wrt q,p for the given transformation is:

$$[Q,P]=\frac{-q^2}{q^2} = -1$$

So, the transformation is not canonical.

The given Hamiltonian is:

$$H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac12kq^2$$

As the transformation is not a restricted canonical transformation, H is not form invariant. So, I tried to find the new Hamiltonian by going through the Lagrangian.

The corresponding Lagrangian should be:

$$L=\frac{p^2}{2m}-\frac12kq^2$$

The inverse transformations are:

$$q=\frac1Q,p=PQ^2$$

As the Lagrangian is invariant, we get the new Lagrangian by plugging in the above equations.

$$L'=\frac{P^2Q^4}{2m}-\frac12\frac{k}{Q^2}$$

We now get the new Hamiltonian through a Legendre transformation of the Lagrangian

$$H'=P\dot Q-\frac{P^2Q^4}{2m}+\frac12\frac{k}{Q^2}$$

Now, $$\dot Q=\frac{-\dot q}{q^2}=\frac{-p}{mq^2}=\frac{-PQ^4}{m}$$

using this, we get the new Hamiltonian

$$H'=-\frac{3P^2Q^4}{2m}+\frac12\frac{k}{Q^2}$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thus, the new Hamiltonian is not equal to the original Hamiltonian and the transformation is not canonical. The method used to find the new Hamiltonian is correct, but it is not a simpler way to solve the problem. A simpler way to find the new Hamiltonian in this case would be to directly use the transformation equations to express q and p in terms of Q and P, and then substitute them into the original Hamiltonian to get the new Hamiltonian. However, this method may not work for more complex transformations and in such cases, going through the Lagrangian would be a more reliable approach.

1. What is a non-canonical transformation?

A non-canonical transformation is a type of transformation in classical mechanics that changes the coordinates and momenta of a system, but does not preserve the Hamiltonian. This means that the equations of motion will be different after the transformation is applied.

2. How does the Hamiltonian change under a non-canonical transformation?

The Hamiltonian changes under a non-canonical transformation because the transformation alters the coordinates and momenta of the system, which are used to calculate the Hamiltonian. This results in a different Hamiltonian function.

3. Why is it important to consider non-canonical transformations?

Non-canonical transformations are important because they can reveal new symmetries and conserved quantities in a system that may not be apparent in the original coordinates. They also allow for a more flexible and general approach to solving problems in classical mechanics.

4. How can one determine the change in the Hamiltonian under a non-canonical transformation?

The change in the Hamiltonian can be determined by applying the transformation to the original Hamiltonian function and comparing it to the new Hamiltonian function. The difference between the two will give the change in the Hamiltonian.

5. Are there any restrictions on the types of transformations that can be considered non-canonical?

There are no specific restrictions on the types of transformations that can be considered non-canonical. However, the transformation must change the coordinates and momenta of the system in a way that does not preserve the Hamiltonian. This means that the transformation must be non-symplectic, meaning it does not preserve the symplectic structure of the system.