Proof that gamma matrices form a complete basis

In summary, the Dirac gamma matrices, tensor, and identity form a complete basis for 4x4 matrices as shown in a table. They can also be represented by matrices over the quaternions and addition of \gamma^5. The sum of the number of components for each element is equal to 4x4, indicating their independence and completeness as a basis.
joe_blogs
Hi all,

I'm interested in proving/demonstrating/understanding why the Dirac gamma matrices, plus the associated tensor and identity, form a complete basis for [itex]4\times4[/itex] matrices.

In my basic QFT course, the Dirac matrices were introduced via the Dirac equation, and we proved various properties. After doing this, we were presented with this table:
[tex]
\begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|} \hline
Form of element &Transforms as &\# of components\\ \hline
$\mathds{I}$ &scalar & 1 \\
$\gamma^\mu$ & vector & 4 \\
$\sigma^{\mu\nu}$ & tensor & 6 \\
$\gamma^5\gamma^\mu$& pseudo-vector & 4 \\
$\gamma^5$ & pseudo-scalar & 1 \\ \hline
\end{tabular} [/tex]
and told that these elements formed a complete basis for [itex]4\times4[/itex] matrices. I've used this fact, and am now employing it in studying the effective weak Hamiltonian as part of an introduction to particle phenomenology. I'm now interested in understanding why it is true.

I've looked through these forums and my searching hasn't turned up a complete answer, or enough of a hint to figure it out. One suggestion I found involved showing the gammas form a Clifford algebra, which can be represented by the matrices over the quaternions. The suggestion was then that the move to matrices over the complex numbers involved the addition of the [itex]\gamma^5 [/itex], but I don't know how to work out the detail here.

I'm happy to be directed to textbooks/online sources.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm a grad student, so while I don't have homework I guess I'll mention in the interests of full disclosure that this isn't any sort of assignment for credit, but rather something I want to grasp to further my understanding of a subject I am new to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that 1+4+6+4+1 = 16 = 4 x 4 ?
Once you notice that, does it make sense that if those matrices are independent, they must form a complete basis ?

Ah, that's very simple. I guess I was stuck on the fact that the matrices have multiple dependencies between them. Because of that I was fixed on showing their span was the whole space. But obviously they're linearly independent so I don't need that...

Ok, thanks. ^_^

1. What are gamma matrices?

Gamma matrices are a set of matrices used in the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics to represent the spin of particles.

2. How many gamma matrices are there?

There are a total of 4 gamma matrices, commonly denoted as γ0, γ1, γ2, and γ3.

3. What does it mean for gamma matrices to form a complete basis?

This means that any matrix can be expressed as a linear combination of the 4 gamma matrices. In other words, they span the entire space of possible matrices.

4. Why is it important to prove that gamma matrices form a complete basis?

Proving that gamma matrices form a complete basis is important because it provides a mathematical foundation for the use of these matrices in quantum mechanics. It also allows for the development of new theories and calculations in this field.

5. How is the proof that gamma matrices form a complete basis conducted?

The proof involves showing that the gamma matrices satisfy certain properties, such as being linearly independent and spanning the entire space of matrices. This can be done through various mathematical techniques, such as matrix multiplication and linear algebra.