Proof that two timelike vectors cannot be orthogonal

In summary: It is an axiom in in the basis-free formulation that for the signature condition that I gave in post #3. See my post #6.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
For fun, I decided to prove that two timelike never can be orthogonal. And for this, I used the Cauchy Inequality for that. Such that

The timelike vectors defined as,

$$g(\vec{v_1}, \vec{v_1}) = \vec{v_1} \cdot \vec{v_1} <0$$
$$g(\vec{v_2}, \vec{v_2}) = \vec{v_2} \cdot \vec{v_2} <0$$

And the ortogonality is,

$$g(\vec{v_1}, \vec{v_2}) = \vec{v_1} \cdot \vec{v_2} = 0$$

where ##g(\vec{e}_{\mu}, \vec{e}_{\nu})=g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} = diag(-1,1,1,1)##

So I tried something like,

##\vec{v_1} \cdot \vec{v_1} = -(v_1^0)^2 + (v_1^1)^2 + (v_1^2)^2 + (v_1^3)^2 < 0##
So
$$(v_1^0)^2 > (v_1^1)^2 + (v_1^2)^2 + (v_1^3)^2 = V_1^2 ~~(1)$$
Similarly
$$(v_2^0)^2 > (v_2^1)^2 + (v_2^2)^2 + (v_2^3)^2 = V_2^2 ~~(2)$$
And

##\vec{v_1} \cdot \vec{v_2} = -(v_1^0v_2^0) + (v_1^1v_2^1) + (v_1^2v_2^2)+ (v_1^3v_2^3)##Then I multiplied ##(1)## and ##(2)## to get

$$(v_1^0)^2(v_2^0)^2 > V_1^2 V_2^2$$

However if we stated that two timelike vectors are orthogonal we would get,

$$(v_1^0)^2(v_2^0)^2 = (V_1 \cdot V_2)^2$$

So since this contradicts the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality we can say that two-timelike vectors cannot be orthogonal. Is there any more elegant proof that you know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a frame of reference in which one of the vectors has zero spatial components.

Likes Demystifier, vanhees71 and Arman777
Arman777 said:
For fun, I decided to prove that two timelike never can be orthogonal.

How do you prove an axiom? :oldbiggrin:

Arman777 said:
Is there any more elegant proof that you know?

This property is part of an elegant, basis-independent definition of Minkowski (vector) space.

Minkowski spacetime ##\left( V,g \right)## is a 4-dimensional real vector space ##V## together with a symmetric, non-degenerate, bilinear mapping ##g:V\times V\rightarrow\mathbb{R}##. A vector in ##V## is called a 4-vector, and a 4-vector ##v## is called timelike if ##g\left(v,v\right) < 0##, lightlike if ##g\left(v,v\right) = 0##, and spacelike if ##g\left(v,v\right) > 0##.

##\left( V,g \right)## is such that:

1) timelike vectors exist;
2) if ##u## and ##v## are such ##u## is timelike and ##g\left(u,v\right) = 0##, then ##v## is spacelike.

Likes strangerep, Arman777 and robphy
George Jones said:
How do you prove an axiom?
I did not know that this was an axiom. Logically indeed it makes sense.

George Jones said:
##\left( V,g \right)## is such that:

2) if ##u## and ##v## are such ##u## is timelike and ##g\left(u,v\right) = 0##, then ##v## is spacelike.

Can 2), or perhaps something weaker such as the OP's proposition, that if ##u## and ##v## are timelike, ##g\left(u,v\right) \neq 0##, not be proven from 1) and the other properties that are given?

PeterDonis said:
Can 2), or perhaps something weaker such as the OP's proposition, that if ##u## and ##v## are timelike, ##g\left(u,v\right) \neq 0##, not be proven from 1) and the other properties that are given?

I am not sure what "weaker" means here. The original post uses an implicit definition of Minkowski space (given below) that is equivalent to the definition of Minkowksi space that I gave in post #3, i.e., each implies the other.

Minkowski spacetime ##\left( V,g \right)## is a 4-dimensional real vector space ##V## together with a symmetric, non-degenerate, bilinear mapping ##g:V\times V\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## such there exists a basis ##\left\{e_0 , e_1, e_2 , e_3 \right\}## for ##V## with:

a) ##g\left(e_\mu , e_\nu \right) = 0## when ##\mu \ne \nu##;
b) ##1 = -g\left(e_0 , e_0 \right) = g\left(e_1 , e_1 \right) = g\left(e_2 , e_2 \right) = g\left(e_3 , e_3 \right)##.

Given the definition of Minkowski space that I gave in post #3, it is possible to prove (using something like Gram-Schmidt) the existence of basis with poperties a) and b). Given the definition of Minkowski space in this post, it is possible to prove (using Cauchy-Schwarz) property 2) in post #3.

Arman777 said:
I did not know that this was an axiom. Logically indeed it makes sense.

Well, I used a smile in postc #3, because, in that post, I used something like 'bait and switch', i.e., I changed the definition of Minkowski space from the (perfectly fine) defintion that you used in the original post. :oldbiggrin:

George Jones said:
I think ##v## has to be nonzero.

robphy said:
I think ##v## has to be nonzero.

Yes, this needed to be stated explicitly.

George Jones said:
How do you prove an axiom? :oldbiggrin:
It's not an axiom but follows from the signature (3,1) of the fundamental form of Minkowski space.

vanhees71 said:
It's not an axiom but follows from the signature (3,1) of the fundamental form of Minkowski space.

It is an axiom in in the basis-free formulation that for the signature condition that I gave in post #3. See my post #6.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the definition of a timelike vector?

A timelike vector is a vector that represents a direction in spacetime that is consistent with the flow of time. This means that the vector has a positive magnitude and can be used to represent the movement of an object through time.

2. Why can't two timelike vectors be orthogonal?

Two vectors are considered orthogonal when they are perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a 90-degree angle. In the context of spacetime, this would mean that the two vectors represent movements in completely different directions, which is not possible for timelike vectors. This is because timelike vectors must have a positive magnitude, and therefore cannot be perpendicular to each other.

3. Can timelike vectors be parallel?

No, timelike vectors cannot be parallel. Parallel vectors have the same direction and magnitude, which is not possible for timelike vectors. Timelike vectors must have a positive magnitude and represent movement in the direction of time, so they cannot be parallel to each other.

4. What is the significance of two timelike vectors being orthogonal?

The fact that two timelike vectors cannot be orthogonal is significant because it helps to explain the structure of spacetime. It shows that time and space are intertwined and cannot be separated, as two timelike vectors must always have some component in the direction of time.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that timelike vectors cannot be orthogonal?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. The concept of timelike vectors being unable to be orthogonal is a fundamental principle in the study of spacetime and has been proven mathematically. It is a consistent rule that applies in all cases.