Propagation of uncertainty calculations

In summary, the uncertainty in the measured charge/mass ratio is due to the large uncertainties in the measurement of a, V, I and r.
leright
I hope this is the right place for this...

Well, I have a lab where we measured the charge/mass ratio of an electron using a helmholtz coil and vacuum tube. I need to calculate the propagation of uncertainty in my final value. The formula for calculating the e/m ratio is the following...

e/m = (2.47E12(a^2/N^2))*(V/((I^2)*r^2))), where a is the radius of the coil that produces the B-field, N is the number of turns in the coil, V is the electron accelerating voltage, I is the coil current, and r is the radius of curvature of the electron beam.

Now, when I calculate the propagation of uncertainty the factor 2.47E12 makes the uncertainty very large and the percent uncertainty is around 50%. What do I do about that huge number??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have any advice?

The constant 2.47E12 should give large uncertainties since the uncertainties are of small numbers themselves.

What formula are you using for propagation of uncertainties?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
The constant 2.47E12 should give large uncertainties since the uncertainties are of small numbers themselves.

What formula are you using for propagation of uncertainties?

well, it does give large uncertainties.

This is the formula I always use...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=132778

The second formula that is.

Well that is the correct formula.

What are the uncertainties of each of the values? For example, the number of turns in the coil should have no uncertainty. If the uncertainties are on the order of a few percent of 4 parameters, a, V, I and r, then one might get a 50% error, but if the uncertainties are fractions of a percent, then I would suspect a mathematical error.

What is the largest uncertainty? If a single uncertainly is large, then one would have to reduce the uncertainty with a better measurement or better device.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Well that is the correct formula.

What are the uncertainties of each of the values? For example, the number of turns in the coil should have no uncertainty. If the uncertainties are on the order of a few percent of 4 parameters, a, V, I and r, then one might get a 50% error, but if the uncertainties are fractions of a percent, then I would suspect a mathematical error.

What is the largest uncertainty? If a single uncertainly is large, then one would have to reduce the uncertainty with a better measurement or better device.

All of the uncertainties are reasonably small, but when you take the derivative of the e/m equation that huge constant is still there...the uncertainties of the measurements are not small enough to balance it out...

Related to Propagation of uncertainty calculations

1. What is the purpose of performing propagation of uncertainty calculations?

The purpose of propagation of uncertainty calculations is to estimate the uncertainty or error in a final result that is calculated using measured or estimated values with uncertainties. This is important in scientific experiments as it allows researchers to assess the reliability and accuracy of their results.

2. How is uncertainty propagated in calculations?

Uncertainty is propagated in calculations by using the law of propagation of uncertainty, which states that the uncertainty in a calculated quantity is a function of the uncertainties in the measured or estimated quantities used in the calculation. This involves using mathematical formulas and equations to determine the overall uncertainty in a final result.

3. What factors can contribute to uncertainty in a calculation?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in a calculation, including the precision of the measuring instruments used, human error in recording measurements, and the inherent variability of the measured quantities. Additionally, assumptions and simplifications made in the calculation process can also introduce uncertainty.

4. How can uncertainty be minimized in calculations?

Uncertainty can be minimized in calculations by using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and averaging them, and carefully considering and minimizing any assumptions or simplifications made in the calculation process. It is also important to properly record and track all sources of uncertainty in the calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to propagation of uncertainty calculations?

Yes, there are limitations to propagation of uncertainty calculations. These calculations assume that the uncertainties in the measured or estimated quantities are independent of each other, which may not always be the case. Additionally, these calculations may not account for all sources of uncertainty, and can only provide an estimate of the overall uncertainty in a final result.