Propagation Vector of Light in Kerr Spacetime: Reference Needed

In summary: If so, then the equation in the paper is equivalent to \begin{align}\rho^2 k^r=&\pm \sqrt{R(r)},\\\rho^2 k^\theta=&\pm \sqrt{\Theta(\theta)},\\\rho^2 k^\phi=&-(aE-\frac{L_z}{\sin^2 \theta})+\frac a \Delta P(r),+\frac{Q}{\left | k^\mu \right |}+\frac{1}{r^4}.\end{align}
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
The asymptotic behavior of a propagation vector is given in a paper. Need suggestions of reference to understand it.
Hi, there. I am currently reading the paper, Gravitational Faraday rotation induced by a Kerr black hole (https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.38.472). After Eq. (2.4), it reads that
From the equation of motion for a light ray, the asymptotic behavior of ##k_i## near the position of the source or of the observer is given by \begin{align}
k^t\rightarrow& 1,\\
k^r\rightarrow& k^r/|k^r| ,\\
k^\theta\rightarrow &\beta /r^2,\\
k^\phi \rightarrow &\lambda/(r^2\sin^2\theta),
\end{align}
where ##\beta=(\eta-\lambda^2\cot^2\theta +a^2\cos^\theta)^{1/2}k^\theta/|k^\theta|##, and ##\lambda## and ##\eta## are constants of motion.

The paper does not provide the derivation of the equations and no related reference is listed. Also, ##k^i## is not clearly defined in the paper, so I assume it takes the form as ##k^i=dx^i/d\tau## where ##\tau## is some affine parameter. But the concepts of the two constants of motion, ##\lambda## and ##\eta##, are also unfamiliar. I know there are four constants of motion in Kerr spacetime, i.e., the mass, the energy, the ##z## component of angular momentum, and the Carter constant. I could not find the definitions of the two constants of motion, ##\lambda## and ##\eta##, in the paper.

I would be grateful if anyone could share some insights or opinions.

Thanks ahead.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have solved it partially.

From the EOM of photons in Kerr spacetime, \begin{align}
\rho^2 k^r=&\pm \sqrt{R(r)},\\
\rho^2 k^\theta=&\pm \sqrt{\Theta(\theta)},\\
\rho^2 k^\phi=&-(aE-\frac{L_z}{\sin^2 \theta})+\frac a \Delta P(r),
\end{align} where at large ##r##, ##R(r)\rightarrow r^4##, ##\Theta(\theta)=\eta+a^2 \cos^2 \theta-\lambda^2 \cot^2 \theta##, ##P(r)\rightarrow Er^2##, and the ##k^\mu## is normalized such that ##k^t=E=1##, and ##\eta## is the Carter constant ##Q##, ##\lambda## is ##L_z##. The signs in the first two equations are defined as ##\pm 1=\frac {k^r}{\left | k^r \right |}=\frac {k^\theta}{\left | k^\theta \right |}##.

Then I can derive the equations in the paper.

The only left question is the normalization of ##k^\mu##. Is it a convention to normalize it by ##k^t=E=1##?

1. What is the Kerr spacetime?

The Kerr spacetime is a mathematical model used in physics to describe the geometry of rotating black holes. It was first proposed by Roy Kerr in 1963 and is an extension of the more commonly known Schwarzschild metric, which describes non-rotating black holes.

2. What is the propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime?

The propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime is a mathematical representation of the direction and speed at which light travels in the curved spacetime around a rotating black hole. It is a vector field that describes the path of light rays in this specific spacetime geometry.

3. How is the propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime calculated?

The propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime is calculated using the Kerr metric, which is a set of equations that describe the spacetime around a rotating black hole. This metric takes into account the effects of the black hole's mass, spin, and angular momentum on the path of light.

4. What is the significance of studying the propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime?

Studying the propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime has important implications for understanding the behavior of light in the extreme conditions around rotating black holes. It can also provide insights into the nature of gravity and the structure of spacetime itself.

5. Can you provide a reference for further reading on the propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime?

Yes, there are many resources available for further reading on the propagation vector of light in Kerr spacetime. Some recommended references include the original paper by Roy Kerr, "Gravitational Field of a Spinning Mass as an Example of Algebraically Special Metrics" and the book "The Kerr Spacetime: Rotating Black Holes in General Relativity" by Matt Visser.