Propagation Velocity of Transverse Waves

In summary, the propagation velocity of transverse waves is the speed at which the wave travels through a medium in a perpendicular direction to the direction of the wave's motion. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s). It can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the period of the wave and is affected by factors such as medium properties, frequency, and amplitude. This velocity is typically faster than that of longitudinal waves and is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave.
Sepamo
A steel wire of radius 0.65 mm is subject to a tension of 11.29 N. Steel has a volume mass density of 7800 kg/m3. Find the velocity of propagation of transverse waves on this wire, in m/s.

I found the cross sectional area of the wire but I am not sure where to go from there. I know I need to convert the volume mass density to linear mass density so I can use the formula
Cw=sqrt(Tension/linear mass density).

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the volume of one meter of the wire, then its mass.

Thank You

Related to Propagation Velocity of Transverse Waves

What is the propagation velocity of transverse waves?

The propagation velocity of transverse waves is the speed at which the wave travels through a medium in a perpendicular direction to the direction of the wave's motion. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

How is the propagation velocity of transverse waves calculated?

The propagation velocity of transverse waves can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the period of the wave. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase, while the period is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle to pass through a given point.

What factors affect the propagation velocity of transverse waves?

The propagation velocity of transverse waves can be affected by the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. It can also be influenced by the frequency and amplitude of the wave.

How does the propagation velocity of transverse waves compare to that of longitudinal waves?

The propagation velocity of transverse waves is typically faster than that of longitudinal waves in the same medium. This is because transverse waves travel perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion, while longitudinal waves travel parallel to the direction of the wave's motion.

What is the relationship between the propagation velocity of transverse waves and the frequency of the wave?

The propagation velocity of transverse waves is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave. This means that as the frequency increases, the propagation velocity also increases. This relationship is described by the wave equation, v = fλ, where v is the propagation velocity, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.