Propagator using Functional QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the propagator for a scalar field theory in the functional representation. The individual's plan is to compute the amplitude to go from one point to another by interpreting the state as the ground state of the scalar field and using a complete set of states. The individual is working with the lowering operator and solving for the wave functional, but is encountering difficulties with solving the gaussian integral. The conversation also touches on the use of a coherent-state basis and the need for a compensating factor for its overcompleteness.
jfy4
Hi,

I am trying to write down the propagator for a scalar field theory, but I want to try and get it in the functional representation. My plan is to compute the following:
[tex]
\langle \psi (x', t') | \psi (x,t) \rangle
[/tex]
which gives the amplitude to go from x' to x. Now I guess I have to interpret this state as the ground state of the scalar field, since next I want to drop in a complete set of states
[tex]
\langle \psi (x', t') | \psi (x,t) \rangle = \int \mathcal{D}\phi \, \langle \psi (x', t') |\phi \rangle \langle \phi | \psi (x,t) \rangle = \int \mathcal{D}\phi \, \psi^{' *}[\phi] \, \psi [\phi]
[/tex]
Is this procedure correct so far? Can I assume the wave functional is the ground state of the field theory in order to continue? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I think I got it. For a free scalar field the propogator would be like
[tex]
\langle 0 | \varphi (x) \varphi(x') | 0 \rangle
[/tex]
Then we put in a complete set of eigenstates
[tex]
\int \mathcal{D}\phi \, \langle 0 | \varphi (x) | \phi \rangle \langle \phi | \varphi(x') | 0 \rangle = \int \mathcal{D}\phi \, \phi(x) \, \phi(x') \, \psi^{*}_{0}[\phi] \, \psi_{0}[\phi]
[/tex]
Next would be to explicitly calculate what [itex]\psi_{0}[\phi] [/itex] would be and then do the functional integral I believe.

Ah, the generating functional approach, I am trying to stay away from that right now. I want to compute the two point correlation function for a free scalar field theory using "wave functional" representation. I'm still trying to make it work though . . .

currently, I am working with the lowering operator
[tex]
a(\vec{k}) = \int d^3 x \, e^{-i \vec{k}\cdot \vec{x}}(\omega(\vec{k})\varphi(x) + i\pi(x) )
[/tex]
and solving for [itex]\Psi_{0}[\tilde{\phi}][/itex] using
[tex]
a(\vec{k}')\Psi_{0}[\tilde{\phi}]=\omega(\vec{k})\tilde{\phi}(\vec{k}')\Psi_{0}[\tilde{\phi}]+\frac{\delta \Psi_{0}[\tilde{\phi}]}{\delta \tilde{\phi}(\vec{k}')}=0
[/tex]
and I get
[tex]
\Psi_{0}[\tilde{\phi}] = N \exp \left[-\frac{1}{2} \int d^3k \, \tilde{\phi}(\vec{k})\omega(\vec{k}) \tilde{\phi} ( \vec{k} ) \right]
[/tex]
Now I am in the process of solving the gaussian integral
[tex]
\int\mathcal{D}\tilde{\phi} \, \tilde{\phi}(\vec{k})\tilde{\phi}(\vec{k}') \, \Psi_{0}^{*}[\tilde{\phi}] \, \Psi_{0}[\tilde{\phi}]
[/tex]
but I can't seem to get it to work yet . . .

Last edited:
it does not seem that it will work.Are you sure with it?

jfy4 said:
Wait, I think I got it. For a free scalar field the propogator would be like
[tex]
\langle 0 | \varphi (x) \varphi(x') | 0 \rangle
[/tex]
Then we put in a complete set of eigenstates
[tex]
\int \mathcal{D}\phi \, \langle 0 | \varphi (x) | \phi \rangle \langle \phi | \varphi(x') | 0 \rangle = \int \mathcal{D}\phi \, \phi(x) \, \phi(x') \, \psi^{*}_{0}[\phi] \, \psi_{0}[\phi]
[/tex]
Next would be to explicitly calculate what [itex]\psi_{0}[\phi] [/itex] would be and then do the functional integral I believe.

You have to be careful here. You're probably using a coherent-state basis, which is a basis corresponding to eigenvalues of the field operators. This basis is overcomplete, so you need a compensating factor for this. Look at for instance Altland and Simons.

Related to Propagator using Functional QFT

1. What is a propagator in functional quantum field theory?

A propagator is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point to another in space and time. In functional quantum field theory, the propagator is represented by a path integral, which sums over all possible paths a particle can take between two points.

2. How is functional quantum field theory used in propagator calculations?

Functional quantum field theory is used to calculate propagators by treating the fields in the theory as operators and using the path integral formalism to sum over all possible field configurations. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate calculation of propagators compared to other methods.

3. What are the advantages of using functional quantum field theory for propagator calculations?

Functional quantum field theory allows for the inclusion of interactions between particles, which is crucial for studying complex systems. It also allows for a more unified approach to calculating propagators for different types of particles, such as fermions and bosons.

4. How does the propagator change in different quantum field theories?

The form of the propagator can vary in different quantum field theories, depending on the specific interactions and particles involved. However, the general concept of a propagator as a function that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to move between two points remains the same.

5. Can functional quantum field theory be applied to all physical systems?

No, functional quantum field theory is primarily used in the study of quantum systems. It is most effective for systems with a large number of interacting particles, such as in high-energy physics or condensed matter physics. Other methods may be more suitable for studying other types of physical systems.