Proper Time For Photon on Null Geodesic

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proper time in a photon's frame of reference and how it relates to the argument that (SPACE)2 - (TIME) 2 = 0. It is explained that the proper time along a worldline is the same in all reference frames and that a photon travels along a path of zero proper time. The Minkowski metric is also mentioned, which relates the spacetime interval to the proper time with a factor of c. It is debated whether it is valid to talk about the proper time along a null worldline.
Hacky
I can understand the logic from some arguments as to why proper time in a photon's "frame of reference" is zero. I cannot understand how this follows from the argument that (SPACE)2 - (TIME) 2 = 0. This to me says that the SPACE-TIME interval for the photon is zero (null interval) and SPACE = TIME, but how does it follow that proper time in the null geodesic is zero? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the worldline is a straight line, the proper time between two points on that worldline is the interval. We can get the proper time along an arbitrary wordline by dividing the worldline into many small straight line segments, and adding up the intervals for the segments. Since the interval is the same in all reference frames, the proper time along a worldline is the same in all reference frames. A photon travels along a path of zero proper time in all reference frames. Assuming we set up perpendicular coordinate axes, the proper time along a worldline is defined as the integral of (SPACE)2 - (TIME) 2, just like arc length along a path is Euclidean space is defined as the integral along the path of (SPACE)2.

Proper time and proper interval are one and the same thing, only a factor of c between them. The Minkowski metric may be written

[tex]c^2d\tau^2=ds^2=c^2dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2[/tex]

I don't know about this, I think that the spacetime interval is only equal to the proper time for timelike intervals. I am not sure that it makes sense to talk about the proper time along a null worldline any more than it makes sense to talk about the proper time along a spacelike worldline.

Related to Proper Time For Photon on Null Geodesic

1. What is "Proper Time" for a photon on a null geodesic?

The proper time for a photon on a null geodesic is defined as the time experienced by the photon itself as it travels along its path through spacetime. This time is measured in its own reference frame and is equivalent to the distance traveled divided by the speed of light.

2. How is the "Proper Time" for a photon on a null geodesic calculated?

The proper time for a photon on a null geodesic is calculated using the equation t = d/c, where t is the proper time, d is the distance traveled, and c is the speed of light. This equation assumes that the photon is traveling at a constant speed along its path.

3. Why is the "Proper Time" for a photon on a null geodesic considered infinite?

The proper time for a photon on a null geodesic is considered infinite because, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time slows down as an object approaches the speed of light. Since a photon travels at the speed of light, time would effectively stop for the photon, making its proper time infinite.

4. How does the concept of "Proper Time" for a photon on a null geodesic relate to the speed of light?

The concept of proper time for a photon on a null geodesic relates to the speed of light because it is calculated using the distance traveled divided by the speed of light. This shows that the proper time for a photon is directly proportional to the speed of light.

5. Can the "Proper Time" for a photon on a null geodesic be measured?

No, the proper time for a photon on a null geodesic cannot be measured because, as stated earlier, time would effectively stop for the photon. Additionally, photons do not experience time in the same way that objects with mass do, making it impossible to measure their proper time in a conventional sense.