Proper Volume on Constant Hypersurface in Alcubierre Metric

In summary: I guess the only reason would be the graph of the trace of the extrinsic curvature tensor, which shows the rate of expansion in front of and behind the bubble, with the rate being negative in the front.
Onyx
TL;DR Summary
Finding the proper volume in the Alcubierre metric for a constant $t$ hypersurface.
I'm wondering if there is a way to find the proper volume of the warped region of the Alcubierre spacetime for a constant ##t## hypersurface. I can do a coordinate transformation ##t=τ+G(x)##, where ##G(x)=\int \frac{-vf}{1-v^2f^2}dx##. This eliminates the diagonal and makes it so that the determinant of the spatial metric is ##\frac{1}{1-v^2f^2}##. But this doesn't seem right for finding the volume because it is an even function over ##x## and ##-x##, while I would have expected the proper volume to the rear of the bubble to be bigger than in the front. Is there some other transformation I would need to make?

Physics news on Phys.org
Onyx said:
I would have expected the proper volume to the rear of the bubble to be bigger than in the front.
Why would you expect this?

Because the volume elements behind the bubble are expanding while in front they are contracting. Given a bubble of ##R=4## and ##\sigma=1##, I figured that integrating the spatial volume on the ##t=0## hypersurface would produce a larger volume from ##x=-3## to ##x=-5## than from ##x=3## to ##x=5##, since the elements are in the process of expanding/contracting.

Last edited:
What do you mean by proper volume? The volume in GR is strongly dependent on foliation. Unless there is some geometrically significant foliation (e.g. hypersurface orthogonal to a timelike KVF, or identified by homogeneity - as in cosmology, etc.) I don't understand what can by meant by "proper volume".

Onyx said:
Because the volume elements behind the bubble are expanding while in front they are contracting.
Why do you think that? (Hint: can you point at something in the actual math that says that?)

PAllen said:
What do you mean by proper volume? The volume in GR is strongly dependent on foliation. Unless there is some geometrically significant foliation (e.g. hypersurface orthogonal to a timelike KVF, or identified by homogeneity - as in cosmology, etc.) I don't understand what can by meant by "proper volume".
Well I guess I mean how the space around the bubble is perceived by a distant observer at constant ##t##.

PeterDonis said:
Why do you think that? (Hint: can you point at something in the actual math that says that?)
I guess the only reason would be the graph of the trace of the extrinsic curvature tensor, which shows the rate of expansion in front of and behind the bubble, with the rate being negative in the front. Of course, this is different from what I've been talking about, so not the best reason.

Onyx said:
proper volume: how the space around the bubble is perceived by a distant observer
would it perhaps be the volume of the bubble as measured by someone at rest inside it?

1. What is the Alcubierre Metric?

The Alcubierre Metric is a mathematical framework proposed by physicist Miguel Alcubierre that describes a hypothetical method for achieving faster-than-light travel through spacetime. It involves creating a "warp bubble" around a spacecraft that contracts spacetime in front of it and expands it behind it, allowing the spacecraft to effectively ride a wave of spacetime to its destination.

2. What is a constant hypersurface in the Alcubierre Metric?

A constant hypersurface in the Alcubierre Metric refers to a 3-dimensional surface that remains constant in spacetime. This means that the properties of the surface, such as its volume and shape, do not change as you move through different points in spacetime.

3. Why is proper volume important in the Alcubierre Metric?

Proper volume is important in the Alcubierre Metric because it is a measure of the physical size of an object in spacetime. In order for the Alcubierre Metric to work, the warp bubble must be able to accommodate the spacecraft and any other objects inside it without causing any distortions or disruptions to the surrounding spacetime. Proper volume allows us to calculate and maintain the appropriate size of the warp bubble.

4. How is proper volume calculated on a constant hypersurface in the Alcubierre Metric?

The formula for calculating proper volume on a constant hypersurface in the Alcubierre Metric is V = ∫∫∫ √(g) dxdydz, where V is the proper volume, g is the determinant of the metric tensor, and dxdydz represents the infinitesimal volume element. This integral is taken over the entire constant hypersurface to calculate the total proper volume.

5. Can proper volume on a constant hypersurface in the Alcubierre Metric be negative?

No, proper volume cannot be negative on a constant hypersurface in the Alcubierre Metric. This is because proper volume is a physical quantity that represents the size of an object in spacetime, and it cannot have a negative value. Any negative values obtained in the calculation of proper volume would indicate an error in the mathematical equations or assumptions used.