Properties of a Star Homework help

In summary, the conversation discusses a star cluster containing a star with an apparent magnitude of 7.3 and a B-V color of 0.5. The star also has a peak wavelength of 557.3 nm and a bolometric correction of -0.4. Part (a) asks to calculate the distance to the star cluster. Part (b) involves calculating the temperature and luminosity of the star. Part (c) involves calculating the maximum radial velocity and mass ratio of a spectroscopic binary within the star cluster. Finally, part (d) asks to compute the luminosity ratio for the two stars in the binary system.
Haydn Ellis

Homework Statement

A star cluster contains star HD1, which has an apparent V magnitude of 7.3 mag and a B − V colour of 0.5 mag. Its continuum emission peaks at a wavelength of 557.3 nm, and this star is known to have a bolometric correction of −0.4.
(a): Calculate the distance to the star cluster.
(b): For star HD1, calculate: i) the temperature, ii) the luminosity.
A spectroscopic binary, composed by star A and B, is found within this star cluster. An observer monitors the variation of the Hα line, with restframe wavelength of 656.3 nm, finding a maximum wavelength of 656.5 nm for star A and 656.4 nm for star B.
(c): Assuming circular orbits, calculate: i) the maximum radial velocity for star A and B; ii) the mass ratio of the two stars in the binary system.
(d): Compute the luminosity ratio for star A and B.

Homework Equations

m_u - m_v=2.5log(fv/fu)
m-M=5log(D)-5
T=2.898*10^3/(lamda max)
BC=M_bol-M_v
L=4piR^2(sigma)T^4

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the B-V colour is for part (a)
Part (b) I think I've done using the 3rd equation I stated, and got a value of 5200K
No idea for (c) and (d)

Physics news on Phys.org
Courtesy bump.

bump , would also like to know

Haydn Ellis said:
I don't understand what the B-V colour is for part (a)
Hi Haydn:

The page
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/magcolor.htm
says
"When astronomers measure the flux of an object at two or more wavelengths, they can take ratios of fluxes. Since the logarithm of a ratio is the difference in logarithms, these flux ratios are defined by subtracting the magnitudes in different filter bands: such as U-B or B-V. In the UBV system, the zeroth magnitudes fluxes are defined for a bright nearby star with a temperature of 10,000 K [Vega]. Thus B-V = 0 corresponds to a temperature of 10,000 K, while a star with the temperature of the Sun (5,770 K) has a B-V color of 0.65."

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

What are the properties of a star?

A star is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma held together by its own gravity. The main properties of a star include its mass, temperature, luminosity, chemical composition, and size.

How is the mass of a star determined?

The mass of a star can be determined by observing its gravitational effects on other objects, such as planets or companion stars. Scientists can also measure the star's brightness and temperature to estimate its mass.

What is the temperature of a star?

The temperature of a star varies depending on its stage of life. On the main sequence, stars can range from 3,000 Kelvin (K) to 50,000 K. Red giant stars can have temperatures as low as 2,000 K, while blue supergiant stars can reach temperatures of over 50,000 K.

What is the luminosity of a star?

Luminosity is a measure of the total amount of energy a star emits per second. It is often compared to the luminosity of our Sun, which is 3.8 x 10^26 watts. The luminosity of a star is affected by its mass, temperature, and chemical composition.

How do the properties of a star impact its lifespan?

The properties of a star, such as its mass, temperature, and chemical composition, determine its life cycle. More massive stars have shorter lifespans and will eventually run out of fuel and explode as supernovae. Smaller stars, like our Sun, have longer lifespans and will eventually become red giants before shedding their outer layers and forming a white dwarf.