Properties of Matter: A Modern Textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses a Physics Elective course on the properties of matter and the recommended textbooks by Newman & Searle. The speaker expresses their opinion that the textbooks are outdated and asks for recommendations on a more suitable textbook. The conversation also mentions the course being related to the foundations of continuum mechanics.
warhammer
Hi. This semester I have chosen "Properties of Matter" as my Physics Elective. The university syllabus generically prescribes texts by Newman & Searle to be studied in this regard but tbh I find them somewhat outdated.

Below I have attached a small snippet of my course syllabus. I shall be highly obliged if someone recommends a textbook to pursue in this regard in accordance with the course contents🙏🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220221-171005_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220221-171005_WhatsApp.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 97
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a course on the foundations of continuum mechanics. I don't think that there are too many books you can call outdated. I don't know the mentioned books by Newman and Searle though.

Likes warhammer
vanhees71 said:
This looks like a course on the foundations of continuum mechanics. I don't think that there are too many books you can call outdated. I don't know the mentioned books by Newman and Searle though.
I guess maybe the style of delivery is more of a grouse for me than the outdation part. Do you have any old/new recommendations pertaining to the course..

1. What is the definition of matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It can exist in three states: solid, liquid, or gas.

2. What are the properties of matter?

The properties of matter include mass, volume, density, and physical and chemical properties such as color, texture, and reactivity.

3. How do the properties of matter affect its behavior?

The properties of matter determine how it behaves under different conditions. For example, the density of a substance affects whether it will float or sink in a liquid.

4. How is matter classified?

Matter can be classified as pure substances or mixtures. Pure substances are either elements or compounds, while mixtures are combinations of two or more substances.

5. Why is understanding the properties of matter important?

Understanding the properties of matter is important because it allows us to predict and control how matter will behave in different situations. This is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.