Would love some Linear Alg and Modern Phy advice :)

In summary, Geoboom recommends starting with self-study, reading a chapter and doing the problem sets, and then moving onto the proofs.
geoboom
Gold Member
Hi guys! Since I'm about to embark on modern physics and linear algebra next year, I've decided to join this community to garner new insights and expose myself to various questions to prepare myself for next year. To begin, I have a few questions for you guys to preempt my preparation.

Take a look at this: http://www.seab.gov.sg/content/syllabus/alevel/2016Syllabus/9811_2016.pdf
To those who have gone through a modern physics course, how would you rate the difficulty of the above syllabus?

Also, I currently have a few modern physics textbooks (namely physics for scientists and engineers and university physics) with solution manuals. What would you veterans recommend me to do for the next 2 months to best prepare myself for next year's modules? Should I begin self-studying the topics and attempting the practices? If so, does anyone have any lecture videos/series to recommend for me to follow? <likewise for linear algebra>

Thank you and it is indeed an privilege for me to be able to communicate with people of similarly great interest in physics here!

Likes Student100 and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
geoboom said:
Hi guys! Since I'm about to embark on modern physics and linear algebra next year, I've decided to join this community to garner new insights and expose myself to various questions to prepare myself for next year. To begin, I have a few questions for you guys to preempt my preparation.

Take a look at this: http://www.seab.gov.sg/content/syllabus/alevel/2016Syllabus/9811_2016.pdf
To those who have gone through a modern physics course, how would you rate the difficulty of the above syllabus?

Also, I currently have a few modern physics textbooks (namely physics for scientists and engineers and university physics) with solution manuals. What would you veterans recommend me to do for the next 2 months to best prepare myself for next year's modules? Should I begin self-studying the topics and attempting the practices? If so, does anyone have any lecture videos/series to recommend for me to follow? <likewise for linear algebra>

Thank you and it is indeed an privilege for me to be able to communicate with people of similarly great interest in physics here!

Hey Geoboom,

The course looks like a pretty standard intro using standard freshman/sophomore texts. Self study can't hurt, just read the chapter and then attempt as much of the problem set as possible from the Serway book. I wouldn't recommend any videos, just read and do problems, you'll discover you learn the most from the problems, but you probably already know that...

Linear Algebra is interesting, you might want to read up on proofs. Get the text you'll end up using and do the same thing, read -> work problems -> work through the proofs.

Likes geoboom
Student100 said:
Hey Geoboom,

The course looks like a pretty standard intro using standard freshman/sophomore texts. Self study can't hurt, just read the chapter and then attempt as much of the problem set as possible from the Serway book. I wouldn't recommend any videos, just read and do problems, you'll discover you learn the most from the problems, but you probably already know that...

Linear Algebra is interesting, you might want to read up on proofs. Get the text you'll end up using and do the same thing, read -> work problems -> work through the proofs.

Thank you very much for your response! Really appreciate the insights offered; I'll get started with studying and practices! :)

Likes Student100

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear systems of equations and their properties. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve problems in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.

2. What is Modern Physics?

Modern Physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the fundamental laws of nature at a microscopic level. It includes fields such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics, which have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

3. How is Linear Algebra used in Modern Physics?

Linear Algebra is used extensively in modern physics to describe physical systems and solve problems. It is used to represent quantum states, perform calculations in quantum mechanics, and describe the motion of particles in relativity.

4. What is the importance of understanding Linear Algebra and Modern Physics?

Understanding Linear Algebra and Modern Physics is essential for anyone pursuing a career in science or engineering. These fields provide the foundation for many advanced concepts and techniques used in various industries, including technology, research, and development.

5. What are some tips for studying Linear Algebra and Modern Physics effectively?

Some tips for studying Linear Algebra and Modern Physics effectively include practicing regularly, seeking help from tutors or professors when needed, and working through problems step by step. It is also helpful to make connections between concepts and real-world applications to deepen understanding.