Properties of the equivalence relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the symmetric and transitive properties of equality and the request for an example of these properties. The example given is a relation R = {(0, 0), (0, 1), (1, 0), (1, 1), (1, 2), (2, 0), (2, 1), (2, 2)} and how it can be used to demonstrate the properties. However, there is some confusion about the request for an example, as it is unclear if it is for an example of a property or an example of a relation. The importance of precise questioning is emphasized.
paulmdrdo1
can you give an example of symmetric property of equality and transitive property of equality. the generalization of these properties are a bit abstract for me. thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Properties of th equivalence relation

paulmdrdo said:
can you give an example of symmetric property of equality and transitive property of equality. the generalization of these properties are a bit abstract for me. thanks!
Given a, b, and c
Symmetry: a = b implies b = a

Transitive: (a = b and b = c) implies a = c

Is that what you were looking for?

-Dan

no. that's the generalize form. i want an example where you can apply the properties.

paulmdrdo said:
no. that's the generalize form. i want an example where you can apply the properties.
Are you thinking of something along the lines of
R = {(0, 0), (0, 1), (1, 0), (1, 1), (1, 2), (2, 0), (2, 1), (2, 2)}
and then determining if R is symmetric and/or transitive?

-Dan

yes!

How about "A is equivalent to B if and only if A and B are people and A has the same parents as B".

If A is equivalent to B then A has the same parents as B so that B has the same parents as A: B is equivalent to A.

If A is equivalent to B and B is equivalent to C, then A has the same parents as B and B has the same parents as A. It follows that A has the same parents as C: A is equivalent to C.

paulmdrdo said:
can you give an example of symmetric property of equality and transitive property of equality.

topsquark said:
Are you thinking of something along the lines of
R = {(0, 0), (0, 1), (1, 0), (1, 1), (1, 2), (2, 0), (2, 1), (2, 2)}
and then determining if R is symmetric and/or transitive?

paulmdrdo said:
yes!
Hmm. OP, you seem to ask not for an example of a property of equality, but for an example of equality, and, in fact, not of equality, but of an arbitrary relation. I know what an example of an object (e.g., a car) is and what an example of an object with some property (e.g., a red car) is, but I don't know what an example of a property is (what is an example of red?). Formulating your questions precisely is half the answer.

Related to Properties of the equivalence relation

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between elements of a set. It is a binary relation that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

2. What is the reflexive property of an equivalence relation?

The reflexive property states that every element in a set is related to itself. In other words, for any element a in a set, (a, a) is part of the relation.

3. What is the symmetric property of an equivalence relation?

The symmetric property states that if two elements a and b are related, then b is also related to a. In other words, if (a, b) is part of the relation, then (b, a) is also part of the relation.

4. What is the transitive property of an equivalence relation?

The transitive property states that if two elements a and b are related, and b and c are related, then a and c are also related. In other words, if (a, b) and (b, c) are part of the relation, then (a, c) is also part of the relation.

5. How are equivalence relations used in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are used to classify and group objects based on their properties. They are also used in the construction of mathematical structures such as equivalence classes, quotient sets, and partitions.